2 Week Old Chick - Trouble Walking, Keeps Falling Down, Need Help!

NewChickeeOwner

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
I recently got 6 chicks, and on Saturday evening, I noticed one of my Rhode Island Reds was having trouble walking. She wasn't growing quite as quickly as the rest. She is about 2 weeks old today. I seperated her from the rest of the chicks, which I have been keeping in a 4'X4'X2' brooder box (w/heat lamp) inside--they have been bedded on pine shavings w/medicated chick starter. I moved her to a seperate box w/her own lamp, and she kept falling down and flopping over on her side, not able to right herself. After reading some threads online, I built a small chair for her, to hold her upright. She eats, drinks, and goes to the bathroom. I just noticed today that her rear is swollen and red. She does not have any visible signs of injury, and I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem, or might know what is wrong. Don't know if the rear swelling just has to do with the fact that she is in a chair? Please help!!!!!

Hi! I have a chick with the same problem
sad.png
I haven't put mine in a chair, so I'm not sure about the swollen rear. Maybe she is blocked up and can't poop? Or because she isn't moving around maybe her blood isn't circulating like it should? Definitely check the pressure around where her rear sits in the chair, it could just be pressure-related swelling.

I don't have an answer, but I have found some hopefully helpful links!

Nella was having the same issue and posted this mid-May (I posted about my chick here) : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4400118#p4400118

Also
, and you may have this info since you know about the chair, I found some information about physical therapy for chicks and creating chairs and play pens here: http://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Good
luck with your chick! I hope everything works out! If I find an answer I will try to post it here or on Nella's post.

Back
Top Bottom