2 week old Chick with Skin condition?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BetsyB0101, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BetsyB0101

BetsyB0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    Hi! I have 10 lavender orpington chicks in a brooder together. One of them has never looked quite right. Its wings are an odd shape and it has always looked more "bare" than the other chicks. I got them shipped to me as hatchlings. None of the other chicks look like this. I don't think anything is pecking at it but I guess I don't watch them all the time. It isn't growing in feathers normally. Even as a one day old it looked different. Anyway, I have pictures of the one with the problems and one of the normal ones to compare with. I don't know what I should do about it. Thanks! If this shows up without a picture, I am still trying to figure out how to upload them...[​IMG]

2. BetsyB0101

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG]

3. BetsyB0101

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG]

4. BetsyB0101

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    Anyone have any ideas? Is this what it looks like if a chick is getting pecked by the other chicks? Or is something wrong with this chick?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Looks like some type of skin irritation or skin condition.others could pick at it or it could pick itself... But normally you get a bloody area somewhere. If you have any ivomectrian you may put a drop on the skin in one area incase it is a parasite of some form. You can try feeding some flax oil or corn oil to its chick starter to help soften the skin. I might also try a drop of Benadryl in the beak once a day for five days and see if it shows any improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by