2 week old chick

homestead 101

Songster
5 Years
Jan 31, 2016
I have a broody mother hen with one two week old chick, they are separated from the main flock. Then I have a flock of 8 bovan, I rir, 1 mixed breed rooster. Those are my layers. I just added a 7, 9 week old chicks. So the whole flock is on grower/finisher feed. I was woundering if I can feed the broody hen any the chick the same thing. Or wait a bit

I have a broody mother hen with one two week old chick, they are separated from the main flock. Then I have a flock of 8 bovan, I rir, 1 mixed breed rooster. Those are my layers. I just added a 7, 9 week old chicks. So the whole flock is on grower/finisher feed. I was woundering if I can feed the broody hen any the chick the same thing. Or wait a bit

I would be feeding the layers laying mash and the young chicks starter or starter grower. All you have to do is use something like 2x4" wire in a circle or area with the chick feed in that area and show the chicks that feed----then they can run in any time they want to eat---but the grown chickens can not get to it.

I never use layer, it isn't necessary, and I find it to be too low in protein. I feed an All Flock or a non medicated starter grower depending on whether I have chicks. I keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the extra calcium needs of any laying hens.

I never use layer, it isn't necessary, and I find it to be too low in protein. I feed an All Flock or a non medicated starter grower depending on whether I have chicks. I keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the extra calcium needs of any laying hens.

What brand of all flock do you recommend? I never have mixed sizes, never have chicks with adults or young chicks with medium age chicks or medium age with adults.

I use flock raiser. I can only find 18% protein starter here, so I prefer the higher 20% protein of the flock raiser. Cockerels reach processing size by about 12 to 14 weeks, pullets (even my Easter Eggers) start laying regularly by 25 weeks. Molters get through the molt quickly and are back to laying condition in just a few weeks. And never had issues with habitual egg eating or feather picking. Never even bother purchasing layer feed. There are just too many benefits for me to ever even consider such a low protein feed. And it is so much simpler to buy and dish out one feed for all.

What brand of all flock do you recommend? I never have mixed sizes, never have chicks with adults or young chicks with medium age chicks or medium age with adults.
Mine is a local brand call Sprout. Otherwise I've seen Purina makes one, I haven't actually looked at what other brands are available. My chickens are healthier and live longer now that I switched off layer a few years ago. I got everything running together, hens, roosters, chicks, juveniles and a few ducks so I need something appropriate for all. I also feed it to my turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom