2 week old chicks and a broody hen?

christwodog

Songster
Jan 16, 2017
Hi,
I've got 4 2-week old chicks, getting ready to put them in the coop add-on as soon as they are 3 weeks old (it's very warm here, 90's during the day, 80's at night) and also have a broody hen. Should I put her with them when they go into the add-on? Would there be any benefit or would it be detrimental for either? She usually stays broody for a couple of weeks at a time, I was wondering if I gave her some chicks, eventhough they aren't newly hatched, would that affect the length of time that she likes to be broody? Thanks everyone.

Do not recommend "putting" the chicks with the broody UNLESS you separate them with a partition or wire cage. I've read you can "sneak" newly hatched chicks under a broody at night but still need to keep a close eye on them. Has she hatched/raised chicks in the past? I, myself wouldn't but then others are probably more experienced than me in this department.

She is unlikely to accept them. They definitely won't see her as mama.
The chicks and hen imprint at hatching and the 2 to 3 days after.
They won't know to listen to her or go to her for warmth/safety. She is likely to see them as intruders. Being broody makes hens more reactive to intruders.

They can go out now...but separated by wire from broody and other birds.

Too bad you didn't give them to her when they were day olds,
would have killed 2 birds with one stone... so to speak hahahaha!

Yeah, I guess it was just bad timing, she just now decided to be broody a couple days ago. So I will stick with the original plan and put them in their separate enclosure. Thank you so much for the replies, it helps alot!

Back
Top Bottom