2 week old chicks are unable to stand

maineiac

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Lincolnville, Maine
This started about 3-4 days ago, I noticed that a couple of my BLRW's were lethargic, and staggered if they were able to get to their feet. They layed around with their eyes closed, and wouldn't seek out food or water on their own, however; if I assisted them, they would eat and drink. They were terribly weak and unable to get off their hocks, and their balance is awful. They will not grasp onto anything like a finger, as usually they would have. Then it began to show up in a couple of other chicks, some buff O's and a couple of of Silver pencilled W's also, over the course of the last two days. Finally all 6 of my BLRW's and the others mentioned, a total of 11 birds, were acting the same way. I had been removing them from the flock as they started to show signs, as I thought this may be viral. Taking precautions last night, I removed the old shavings, bleached the floor (more on that later), then I replaced all the pine shavings in both sides of their pen, the healthy side and chicken ICU. This morning, there were no new patients, everyone on the healthy side still was. Some of the sick birds can slowly stagger, a couple of steps at a time, then rest, then more steps, to get to food and water. Others are worse and have to be hand watered, but won't eat. They have no other visible issues. They have been eating medicated starter, and I use quick-chik in the water, every other watering. The flock came from McMurrays. They are inside, have adequate heat, ventilation, bedding, etc. Since they became sick I have added some vinegar to their water, I was told it will help boost their immunity. I also tried giving them some yogurt tonight. Here are two ideas I came up with - 1. They had pecked at some foil lined foam insulation board, about the size of a dime, the day or so before they got sick, which I covered up immediately. 2. The room in which they live, previously had some decaying animal skulls stored there ( I am a taxidermist, with a flesh-eating beetle colony). There are no maggots present, however, there was an old blood stain on the plywood floor, which in theory they could have scratched at, and in fact did, about 1-2 days before they got sick. So it may be possible that they have Botulism, or I am just trying to tie that in because of the symptoms. But to describe their condition in its simplest, they have bad balance and no energy, not able to stand up. Can anyone figure this out? Does it seem odd that in a flock of 70 birds that all 6 BLRW's would be sick, while other breeds are fine?Thanks...Scott

Hello, We have chicks nearly 3 wks old now. One week ago one polish started these symptoms. She is not as weak anymore and always eats and drinks on her own. Eventhough she was separated, other chicks of different varieties came down with this. This is not our first time with chicks and it is a mystery. They were vaccinated before arriving. We feed universal feeds chick starter, quick chick, now we also give fresh greens, antibiotics, probiotics, hi-cal bird grit and cod liver oil. So far only one chick that started this has recovered. And since then, others have come down with it. The ones that get it seem to have stunted growth even though they eat fine. I think someone on this list or many people will be reporting findings on their chicks who are being tested for similiar symptoms soon. Good luck!

Hi Scott, Welcome to BYC. There are alot of very knowledgeable members on here, so i am sure someone will have some input soon. There is so much information on here, its hard to find the needle in the haystack right when you need it. I hope someone is online that can help you.

Wendy

ps. i D-mailed you this site
wink.png

Hello, I am having the exact same issues as those listed above, so decided to jump online to see if other are having the same issue.

Lethargy and failure to grow started this past weekend. The poor little things stagger their way to the food bowl occasionaly and I am trying to make sure they are getting water without drowning in it as they collapse. Our chicks arrived March 3rd. This is our 6th year with 4-H chicks, so I feel like we know what we are doing. I have a feeling we've all ordered from the same place.

We started with 30 birds and are down to 12. All of our buff polish, buff brahma, porcelain died within 3 days. We had another strange disease go through at about a week which claimed alot of lives. Although those chicks weren't "pasted shut" their abdomens got very large and filled with fluid to the point where they we laying on their sides gasping for air because their abdomens were taking up lung capacity space.

I would consider this weakness/staggering/ failure to grow a different disease than the breathing disease.

We have 5 very dissappointed 4-H kids... any ideas for treatment? Refund? At this point it looks like our Araucana's may be the only thing we have left our of 10 brreds ordered. Unfortunately, the hatchery is "out of chicks"

Thanks all. That thread describes EXACTLY what I have going on here. My chicks were NOT vaccinated, so we may be able to rule out a bad batch of vaccine. This whole time I was thinking I must have done something wrong that I was overlooking. Did anyone get an answer back on the necropsies yet?

Quote:
To my knowledge there are no results yet.

Since there are so many things that could be the cause of your chicks illness you might consider contacting someone in your area for your own necropsy.

mine too, I have 12 left out of 27! Although those are getting nice and heavy! nothing I did for them helped, the first one I found, I brought in the house {in my bra because it was freezing outside!} I managed to revive the little guy, but he only lasted until the next evening. It was heartbreaking because I couldn't do anything for them. I, too, had them vaccinated for coccidiosis and mareks, and was giving quick chick, feeding non medicated chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom