2 Week Old Chicks - Breed Confusion!

CDAchicks

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Warren County, NJ
This chick is giving me some serious doubts on if I guessed Golden Buff chick correctly. Also, doubting that it's a pullet.
20200607_213505.jpg

20200607_213441.jpg

20200607_213528.jpg
20200607_213535.jpg

Versus my 99% positive Golden Buff pullet:
20200607_213644.jpg

20200607_213650.jpg
20200607_213725.jpg

That being said, please, give me what you guys think they are. I'm very new to this guessing a chick's breed game so I'd LOVE it if you'd give me your input. And if it helps at all, I got them from Meyer's Hatchery.

What did you order from Meyer? Was it an assortment? Were they supposed to be pullets?

Golden Buff seems quite likely for the first one. If that one is a Golden Buff, then it is also a female. (If it turns out to be a male, then it is not a Golden Buff.) That's because Golden Buffs are a sexlinked cross-- females have a lot of brown, males are mostly white. (Look at the photos of adults on Meyer's website for examples.)

The second chick I can't be sure whether I'm seeing buff feathers or white ones. If the feathers are all white so far, then it is probably not a Golden Buff Pullet. Cockerel, maybe. Pullet or cockerel of anotther breed, also maybe.

What did you order from Meyer? Was it an assortment? Were they supposed to be pullets?

Golden Buff seems quite likely for the first one. If that one is a Golden Buff, then it is also a female. (If it turns out to be a male, then it is not a Golden Buff.) That's because Golden Buffs are a sexlinked cross-- females have a lot of brown, males are mostly white. (Look at the photos of adults on Meyer's website for examples.)

The second chick I can't be sure whether I'm seeing buff feathers or white ones. If the feathers are all white so far, then it is probably not a Golden Buff Pullet. Cockerel, maybe. Pullet or cockerel of anotther breed, also maybe.
I had the Leann's Adopt Me Bargain for four of them, so I figured those were my other chicks that I've determined to be Barred Rocks since there were four of them. My for sure White Egg Layer female was a Polish who failed to thrive within the 48 hours so I've got a replacement order coming. I had one female from the Production Pack ordered so that's why I guessed the Golden Buff and then number 7 was the Meyer Meal Maker extra chick which I assumed was the first one. I honestly have been thinking the first one would be a rooster because s/he's especially flighty when going to do anything in the brooder and the second one that does only have white feathers so far, but has the Golden Buff sex-link red down stripes has always been the assumed female (and has always been the calmest). The next few weeks will certainly be interesting to say the least.

The next few weeks will certainly be interesting to say the least.

Yes, it will be!
With an order like that, no wonder you are having a trouble figuring them out!
I think they say the Meal Maker will be a layer chick if you order layers, a meat chick if you order meat birds--which leaves me wondering what kind it is for an order like yours?!

Your guesses all make sense. Yes, I see why you would think the one with brown stripes could be a Golden Buff pullet, especially before it grew lots of white feathers!

I assume you already went through the chick identification page?

Could the second chick (light brown stripes, white feathers) maybe be a Swedish Flower Hen or an Olive Egger? Both of those show some pale chicks in the photos, and can come in a variety of colors.

Could your first chick be one of the "Rainbow Range Broilers"? They aren't on the ID page, but the breed page photos show a variety of colors, including some birds with brown, white, and bits of black. If so, that one's probably one of the Adopt Me Bargain chicks.

I see that the Production Pack could be a Golden Buff, or a Barred Rock, or a few other options. You say you did get some Barred Rocks, so it might be one of those.

You've got some nice chicks, but it sure is a puzzle to know what they are :)

Yes, it will be!
With an order like that, no wonder you are having a trouble figuring them out!
I think they say the Meal Maker will be a layer chick if you order layers, a meat chick if you order meat birds--which leaves me wondering what kind it is for an order like yours?!

Your guesses all make sense. Yes, I see why you would think the one with brown stripes could be a Golden Buff pullet, especially before it grew lots of white feathers!

I assume you already went through the chick identification page?

Could the second chick (light brown stripes, white feathers) maybe be a Swedish Flower Hen or an Olive Egger? Both of those show some pale chicks in the photos, and can come in a variety of colors.

Could your first chick be one of the "Rainbow Range Broilers"? They aren't on the ID page, but the breed page photos show a variety of colors, including some birds with brown, white, and bits of black. If so, that one's probably one of the Adopt Me Bargain chicks.

I see that the Production Pack could be a Golden Buff, or a Barred Rock, or a few other options. You say you did get some Barred Rocks, so it might be one of those.

You've got some nice chicks, but it sure is a puzzle to know what they are :)
It's terrible that I didn't even consider that it could be one of the meat chickens. We were only going for egg layers but when you play the chicken lottery... Lol. Oh well, that will certainly be interesting to see if it is one of those Rainbows. It does have similar wing coloring. I'll be updating my Barred Rock chicks pics too. I'm going for pictures every 2 weeks to track their development. Thank you for the attempt to assist with this craziness.

It's terrible that I didn't even consider that it could be one of the meat chickens.
Neither did I, until you said you had the "Adopt Me" special. Meaties are mentally invisible to me if someone mentions egg breeds. :)

If it is a meat breed, I imagine you'll know for sure in less than two months--any meat bird worth having should be MUCH larger than your layers by that time!

Thank you for the attempt to assist with this craziness.

I enjoyed poking through the list of breeds trying to figure out the possibilities :)

Back
Top Bottom