2 week old chicks feather picking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken quartet, Jul 30, 2008.

1. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Ok, this morning I caught all of my 9 chicks (2 weeks old) pecking at the tail feathers of my RIR chick. They were all doing it and her tail was bleeding. I quickly separated her from them. Then about a couple of hours later I noticed they were all now chasing my little Buckeye around and picking at her tail. So I put her in with the RIR chick. I put some Wonder Dust on the wound and neither one pecked at each other.

Now I noticed they are all pecking at my SLW's tail feathers. What is the deal?? Is there some reason for this? What do they get from it? I let them all out now in the backyard for a while. Maybe they don't have anything to do? Are they bored? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What size brooder are they in? Crowding, boredom and hunger can be a cause.

3. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Thanks for the quick reply!

They are in a fairly large wire cage. They have plenty of food and water. Maybe they are getting to crowded in there. Hmmmm.... I'm getting my playhouse from Lowe's tonight. I was going to have my DH put it together this weekend. Maybe I can get him to do it sooner?!? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by