2 week old chicks with 3 day old chicks?

4acresNachick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Whats the best way to combine the chicks. Do I keep the brooder divided or have a separate brooder? Will that cause problems later when they all are ready for the coop? I am new to raising chickens so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

What about the temp difference between them? The 3 day old will need to hotter than the 2 week old. I have 3 week olds that I need to mix with 1 week olds.

Yeah. that was my next question. the brooder I have is big enough should I section the new ones off closer to the light maybe?

I would let them hang out in whatever section they want, they will self-regulate their location based on temperature. Just make sure there's an area warm enough for the newbs and an area cool enough for the old farts!

I have never had a problem! I even have 8 week olds with 2 week olds....we haven't finished the coop yet! But they all cuddle with eath other, it just takes a day for them to get used to each other and with me I have to make sure no one gets stepped on. It happens on accident some times but no one has been hurt!

I just brought home a baby today. 3 of the other chicks are 4 weeks old. It is going very well. The older ones are snuggling to the baby and keeping her nice and warm.

Oh that is all good to hear. My husband and I are new to raising chickens and of course what was just supposed to be a few hens to give us fresh eggs sometimes is now up to 15 birds and the coop design has been enlarged three times!
tongue.png

I've been getting a few chicks every week for the last 4 weeks. I felt like they were fine together until this past week. The 2 4wo chicks were just too big and kept stepping on the little bantams. I actually gave those and some of my newer chicks to a friend (this was planned before I got them.
smile.png
) Then I moved my 2wo Easter Eggers and (I think) standard brahma and 3wo bantams outside (w/ a lamp) b/c they were all being too rough for my new baby bantams. I would have to say these EE's are the most rambunctious/active chicks I've had so far. Very precocious!

My older chick always walks on the younger ones. I think its trying to establish pecking order. They squawk a lot but none have died yet.

Back
Top Bottom