2 week old chicks

GambaDawn

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
Central California
Hello all! I’m new to the chicken raising and new to this site. So happy I found you all! Things I’ve read here so far have been very helpful. I have started with one day old chicks (6 of them), all girls. They are now just 2 week’s old. From what I read the pecking order is a natural step they go through and a harmonizing step as well. Well my question is, is it ok to put a pretty aggressive chick into a seperate container for a bit? Will that calm her down some ? She is sorta mean. I talk to her (all of them) handle them gently, and try to keep it fair, but now she runs up and pecks at me too. Is that normal? Should I randomly put other chicks in with her so they all stay familiar with each other? Appreciate any advice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    951.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 23
Chicks at this age mostly play and mock fight, not really old enough to establish adult pecking order.
It looks like your box is kind of small. Try a larger box so they have more space. Over crowding can cause problems at all stages of a chickens life.
Good luck with your chicks!
Thank you for the information! I do see the others kinda just pick at each other, but this one is different. She seems mean. The others stay in the corner away from her a
lot. Wit’s me she Sometimes flaps around the cage, raises her feet and spread them and acts like she is attacking lol. I tell her to be nice, make her let me hold her for a minute, so she doesn’t get the upper hand. She pecks much harder than the others. Idk, I did think it may be because the tote suddenly seemed too small, they grow so fast! So I split them between the two totes now. hopefully For another week or so that will suffice?

It’s tough to sex them so young but there are a few threads on here and people who may can help. I have one who is acting the same as you describe and I have a strong suspicion it’s a rooster by behavior alone as it’s more of a leader , brave comes at me and others and seems to defend the flock at 2 weeks old. I also asked for hens but my gut has me wondering about the roo behavior I’m seeing so young

Establishing a pecking order is totally normal; however, I had some Orpington chicks I hatched out a few weeks ago and I was ready to wring one of their little necks. She ran from bird to bird, picking at their eyes. She kept everyone stirred up and wouldn't let them sleep. The only time she behaved was if she was in my hand, where she'd promptly go to sleep. I kept her in prison for several days, but each time I returned her to the tub they'd start screaming again because she was picking on them. She went to live at a friend's with some chicks that were a week or two older. Even then she tried picking, but the older birds put her in her place. So I'd definitely keep an eye on her.

I would recommend a bigger brooder. If you have no big hens, consider moving then to the coop/run. Give places to hide. For we're have a couple wood logs in our run. This gives places to stay out of sight.
Thank you! Yes we are as I type, building a bigger brooder! It’s just too small in the tubs now I’m thinking. Thanks for all the great help!

Back
Top Bottom