2 week old duckling imprint

I think it's wonderful that you're getting a friend for your single duckling. That's the kindest thing to do. Ducks want other ducks for companions, but that doesn't mean that they can't make wonderful pets. I'm so happy my ducks have each other. If I was their only source of emotional support it would be a lot of pressure and so unfair to the the duck. They need constant company. Your ducklings at first might need supervision as you accustom the first one to the baby, but I bet they'll adjust quickly and be happy. I raised 6 ducklings and I'm glad they are bonded to each other. They are happy when they're out of my sight! But they trust me and feel comfortable with me because I spend so much time with them. And give them lots of treats - that's key. I respect their boundaries - some of them are okay being touched and some don't like it as much. These animals aren't like cats and dogs and it's important to understand that and not demand more than they can give us. I appreciate my ducks for the unique charm they have!

Newbie here, but I thought I could chime in with a similar situation! But this is a success story and hopefully gives you some hope!

I adopted mine (10 days old) yesterday around noon, and they were scared at first. I ended spending the ENTIRE day until 9pm next to them on the floor, giving them mealworms as treats for coming close to me. Around 6-7pm, one was shyly eating out of my hand. I went and laid down on my bed and sat them next to me, and they fell asleep for a bit and I sorta dozed off too (just kinda closed my eyes and enjoyed listening to their little quiet peeps). They started to peep loudly if I left the room and would kinda waddle towards the door but not follow. They cried out for a while at night when I put them in their pen next to my bed at 9pm but eventually settled down.

This morning, I woke up around 8, and first thing I did was sneak out to prep their breakfast (a variety of tomatoes, watermelon, lettuce in water, and their duckling feed), and set up a breakfast area with a clean water bowl and their food. I then turned on all the lights, and they peeped really loudly at seeing me, and stood up when I got there. I grabbed them and set them next to breakfast, where I kinda laid down as well next to them on the floor and talked to them as they ate. Occasionally I’d pet one. They seemed way more comfortable with me. Then the brave one climbed into my lap and nuzzled into my arm. It wasn’t until I brought them downstairs with me to the kitchen to make my coffee that I noticed they followed not immediately behind but kinda trailed followed me just so they could see me as I walked around my house. I actually just now found out that is an imprinting thing! I didn’t think they could or would, but I read about people “forcing” (gently) your presence around them (never chase them!), and eventually they will understand you’re there to protect and they’ll feel safe. Just spending time near them while you’re doing stuff will help with the bonding. I thankfully had all day off so 100% of my day was spent next to them and it’s been a HUGE improvement even in a single day.

Best of luck to bonding!! Sending all the good duckie luck!

Back
Top Bottom