2 week old duckling left on its own Help please(pics added)

sandcat

Songster
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
I found one of the 2 week old ducklings on its own yesterday, it was all wet and just sitting there not moving at all. I had seen the mother of the older ducklings being a bit agressive with it earlier, it is the smallest duckling of them all. I picked it up and bought it inside, it didnt fight or anything, but as its dried off overnight its scared and im sure it wants its mumma. should i let it go or will its mother reject it because its been handled by us. we are happy to look after it but i know it would be happier with its mum, but i have seen this particular duckling be picked on more than its fair share, the others are so much bigger than it.

Last edited:
I don't think you gain anything by giving it back to mom. I think the mother thinks its time to ween it off. The only problem is that it still needs some warmth. It can get chilled and die. I would bring it in and keep it in. Don't worry about it being touched by humans. Birds cannot smell well at all and would not be able to tell the difference. It will bond rather quickly with you, and you can have it rejoin the group once older. Be prepared for having a messy duck around. It fun and rewarding too.

I would mother it yourself. By the sound of it, it might die out in the wild. Ducks are amazing pets i got 3 of my own in the house. They are so much better then dogs or cats. Just keep it warm under a lamp or hold it wraped in a towl and keep it warm with the heat of your body. But it might already be use to not being warm, but warm it up anyways. Get it some duck food from the store, non medicated! and give it some water. I love duckies
smile.png

If it's being picked on you can just have a house duck LOL. I have seen mother ducks try to drown the runts. Ducks don't get as cold as chicks do, they are pretty tough. Just fix it a makeshift brooder and take care of it until it's big enough to turn back out to the pond.

I did think of bringing in another duckling to keep it company but im rather afraid of the mother ducks as ive been chased a few times(much to the amusement of my partner;)) i will get my older boys to get a duckling for a friend, i just worry that my concience will play havoc with me for getting another duckling, but it will be better for the little lone duckling. thanks so much for replies so quickly, my partner wanted to let it go and just see how it went but i wanted to ask you all first!!

YES! A house Ducky like mine.....i would recommend a ducky diaper...they umm cant be house trained and a ducky diaper works fantastic.
smile.png
Thanks to the ducky diaper my 3000 dollar carpet still loks new
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
he he he i never though i would need a ducky diaper, i have no idea where to get those here in New Zealand.

Oh New Zealand........umm you should be able to still order them online im pretty sure. I would only get them if your going to keep it inside, if not i wouldent worry about it then.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom