2 week old EE bantam not her spunky self... Not moving much... Not eating much

crazydutchchick

Hatching
Jul 12, 2016
Mebane, NC
She is usually on the move like the rest of the bunch (a mix of 18 chicks both standard and bantam and all diff special breeds) and usually it's a feat to get ahold of her, because SHE IS FAST! But today, she's laying there not eating with the others and not running when I put my hand in the brooder. She just sleeps. And no sounds when I hold her, she just lays on my lap and sleeps. She's also the smallest of the bunch (that's including the other bantams) so I'm afraid something is wrong. Any ideas???

Sometimes chicks that are hatched with genetic abnormalities manage to come out of the egg and put up an appearance of being just like the other chicks. They seem to cruise on what's left of their yolk sack, and don't begin exhibiting signs they're not normal for a week or so.

The first thing you notice is they seem to be lagging in growth. Chicks double in size every week, and these chicks become very apparent they aren't growing by the end of their first week.

Then, since they lack the ability to utilize the nutrients in the food they eat, they begin to get weak. Once that begins, they lack the energy to even eat, so they go down hill quickly from there.

This is called failure to thrive, and there really isn't much you can do. Even if you manage to get the chick to eat, they will have internal problems leading to diarrhea or constipation as their little bodies struggle to cope with digesting food. Then it becomes painful and your heart just breaks for them.

There is a small chance your chick is sick with cocci or some bacteria or virus. But the odds are more in favor of this chick of yours being a failure to thrive candidate.

Symptoms of coccidosis can be lack of appetite, lethergic behaviors, puffed up appearance, foamy stool, blood may or may NOT be in stool. Excessive sleepiness, or sleeping. If you suspect this might be the case treat everyone with Amprollum.the brand name is usually Corid or Amprol. Cocci is extremely common and can easily be contracted by soil or feces. It happens when a over load of cocci enters the system and they are not yet immune. All soil and stool can also have cocci. Just sometimes young chicks and juveniles can get over loaded and without treatment it can be fatal.hope this helps. Most farm stores carry Amprollum. I would treat a.s.a.p. if this is suspected. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. I really never thought about her possibly not making it after this long... Failure to thrive always made me think of very early in life and not after 2 weeks! But this is very good to know. It's great to have seasoned chicken owners to give you great advice like this so I don't spend my days and nights worrying about what I should have/ should be doing to fix her... We will still hope for the best but feel better knowing it's nothing we did. Still sad about Our poor little girl.
1f614.png

She seems to be much smaller than the rest and just plain sleepy and listless. None of the others are showing these symptoms and with her tiny size (and the fact that I'm feeding medicated food) makes me think its failure to thrive. :( I guess I will see in a few days. Thanks for the info though.
I'm going to get the meds just in case anyway. Now I know what to look for!

Sometimes chicks that are hatched with genetic abnormalities manage to come out of the egg and put up an appearance of being just like the other chicks. They seem to cruise on what's left of their yolk sack, and don't begin exhibiting signs they're not normal for a week or so.

The first thing you notice is they seem to be lagging in growth. Chicks double in size every week, and these chicks become very apparent they aren't growing by the end of their first week.

Then, since they lack the ability to utilize the nutrients in the food they eat, they begin to get weak. Once that begins, they lack the energy to even eat, so they go down hill quickly from there.

This is called failure to thrive, and there really isn't much you can do. Even if you manage to get the chick to eat, they will have internal problems leading to diarrhea or constipation as their little bodies struggle to cope with digesting food. Then it becomes painful and your heart just breaks for them.

There is a small chance your chick is sick with cocci or some bacteria or virus. But the odds are more in favor of this chick of yours being a failure to thrive candidate.

How do I know if it's cocci or just failure to thrive?? The chicks have had some foamy slimy poos recently but seem fine... They have not been exposed to the outdoors or anything from older chickens ETC.
Should I treat everyone just in case? I have a video I can post so you can see my girls... And my sick baby.
Thanks for your help!!!

I have had my Road Island Red hen for about 10 months now. She the best layer I have so I put her with my Road Island Red roster to see what would happen. She hatched 9 out of 11 eggs a few weeks ago. The last 6 days she has lay an egg a day. well to day when I went out to check on her there was a white egg in there with her. Now I was told that they should be brown and they all have been brown but this one. there is no other way for any chicken to get in there with my roster and my hen. So the question is why did she lay a white egg? Am I doing anything wrong? Is there anything I need to do or dose it just happen sometimes? Any help would be nice. Thanks Nic

Back
Top Bottom