2 Week Old Sick with missing fur on belly

Is there any irritation from the belly button area? I had a baby chick that had a hernia around hers.
I do not see any irritation, however what is strange is she feels weak and mushy but where her bald spot is between her legs whatever organ that is feels hard. I'm unfamiliar with a baby chick anatomy but feels like round rock.

however what is strange is she feels weak and mushy but where her bald spot is between her legs whatever organ that is feels hard.
Can you get some photos of her, her poop and her legs (top and bottom) without the red light?

You are feeling of her abdomen. Can you compare her a few of the other chicks?
What feels mushy?

What temp is your brooder on the cool side and on the warm side?

fwiw - Coccidiosis can present without blood in the poop, there's only 2 of 9 strains that even show up with blood, so don't necessarily discount it.

Can you get some photos of her, her poop and her legs (top and bottom) without the red light?

You are feeling of her abdomen. Can you compare her a few of the other chicks?
What feels mushy?

What temp is your brooder on the cool side and on the warm side?

fwiw - Coccidiosis can present without blood in the poop, there's only 2 of 9 strains that even show up with blood, so don't necessarily discount it.
Poop is back to normal, solid with mostly white caps. The brooder currently is 85 to 90 in the warm spot where she has been spending all her time. Given its outdoor, the cool side ranges. Last week though was rough where we were hit the high 90s to 100s temp so it was hot with no lamp needed and I provided ice water bottles on the cool side to help.

The other chicks do not feel mushy at all and feel super solid and strong and are really starting to feather whereas she still has a lot of down.

Looks like she also has splayed leg?

Attachments

• 20220805_093538.jpg
    20220805_093538.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220805_093339.jpg
    20220805_093339.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220805_093311.jpg
    20220805_093311.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220805_093300.jpg
    20220805_093300.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 2
Can she walk at all?

If the abdomen is mushy, then she may have infection. Hard to know.

I'd work on hydration, get some poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell into her and watch that she's eating o.k.
Some chicks unfortunately fail to thrive.

Can she walk at all?

If the abdomen is mushy, then she may have infection. Hard to know.

I'd work on hydration, get some poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell into her and watch that she's eating o.k.
Some chicks unfortunately fail to thrive.
She can walk, but doesnt want to. Just crazy she was growing faster than the rest and then bam sick. I'm driving into town today to get this and fingers crossed She pulls together. My girls and I already love her so much.

Is she different than all the other chicks? Like size and breed?

You got the chicks at the feed store?

I do hope she is able to rally. Do take a look at her legs more closely and how she walks. I can't tell if she is splay legged or not. Looks like she has quite thick legs, so I wonder about what breed she is supposed to be...

Oh, you do get attached to the little things SO quickly, it's frustrating and very sad when they aren't doing well. :hugs

Here's a little info about splay/spraddle leg.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

Is she different than all the other chicks? Like size and breed?

You got the chicks at the feed store?

I do hope she is able to rally. Do take a look at her legs more closely and how she walks. I can't tell if she is splay legged or not. Looks like she has quite thick legs, so I wonder about what breed she is supposed to be...

Oh, you do get attached to the little things SO quickly, it's frustrating and very sad when they aren't doing well. :hugs

Here's a little info about splay/spraddle leg.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/
I got all 14 from Cackle Hatchery online. She is an Easter Egger. I originally ordered 4 of that breed; one died on arrival, one came in with pasty butt and was very small in comparison so I worried she might not make it but she is doing well.. still smaller but keeps up with the others just fine and the other was same size as her and she had splayed leg but recovered quickly. The other breeds that all came together were barred rock, speckled sussex and welsummer.

Is she pooping alright? Is she vaccinated? Is she sitting with her legs to the side? Is she moving her wings normally? Are you sure that's a girl?

Back
Top Bottom