2 week olds not sleeping under heat?

gracemarie123

Hatching
Mar 25, 2024
I have a dozen 2 week old chicks. They’ve been comfortably using the heat plate in their brooder (upgraded to 2 heat plates about a week ago since 1 was a bit tight) for the past 2 weeks at night and now all of the sudden a good majority of them all sleeping in a corner. Normal? Should I try to do something or just leave them? The height of the plates I believe is fine, given that they all use it freely throughout the day without issue and some of them are currently under it.

First time raising chicks so just trying to do everything to keep them alive if you feel me 😅

As long as they have warmer and cooler areas to go to they’ll do their own thing. I have found over the years that as long as there is a place to get warm when they want it, baby chicks don’t seem to require quite as much temperature control from YOU as it first seems when you start reading up on how to raise them. They will usually let you know if they are uncomfortable by extra loud cheeping and huddling together or panting if they are too cold or too warm.

Perfectly normal. Here are some 8 day olds from my August hatch roosting on top of the brooder plate
Screenshot_20240322_222613_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom