2 week olds outside in 70's?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rmansker, Mar 22, 2008.

1. rmansker

rmansker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2008
    Atlanta GA
    Will it be okay to let my 2 week old chicks out in the yard for a while in low 70 degree temps?

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    It might depending on how long they're out for.

But you're really supposed to decrease the temperature each week by 5 degrees starting from 95.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    70 is still cool for new chicks. 2 week olds have fluff not real feathers to insulate and help keep their body temps regulated. I would go out with them and keep them out for only a short time then right back in the brooder. A momma hen would take them out and then call them back in and hide them under her wings for warmth.

4. meant2bemommie

meant2bemommie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    California
    It is the 80s here and I can't wait until they can play outside for alittle bit.

5. rmansker

rmansker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2008
    Atlanta GA
    I think we will just take them out for a few minutes to let them play and scratch around a bit. I wouldn't want to leave them out for very long so I think it sounds like they should be okay for about 10-15 minutes.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Taking them out for short periods is really good for them. They get a little exposure to the ground and the common germs in the dirt. Helps them to build a good immune system. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by