2 week speckled Sussex chick developing crossbeak?

tizabel_

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
North Central Washington
I just got a few more chicks to add to my brooder from our local feed store.
They’re all 2 weeks old, but I got most of them when they were one week and I’m pretty sure they’re all from the same batch at the store. They aren't selling out quickly and they looked really crowded, probably super hot too, and they were kept in wire racks covered with newspaper.
I noticed right when I got home that this speckled Sussex has an odd looking beak.
I had never heard of crossbeak / scissor beak before, but I did a quick google search on weird, long and curved chick beak and after researching it I am pretty sure this is what she has. The un-alignment is barely noticeable unless you hold the chick and look from underneath or if you compare both sides. What’s more noticeable though is how the top beak curves a bit too soon down the beak and the bottom beak doesn’t curve, so her mouth is never able to close all the way. It’s really hard to tell in the picture but I can see that the bottom is slightly to the left of her top beak.
After researching, I decided to trim and file it down as much as I could to see if the length was the only thing blocking her bottom beak, but I couldn’t trim it far enough without cutting the quick. I really wish I would have gotten a picture before I trimmed it. It was very pointy and looked like a hawks beak. I was only able to trim off the tip, and I was careful to do it a little bit at a time, and at an angle.
Do you think this is a combination of genetic deformity and development in a poor environment for 2 weeks? Since I noticed it I have trimmed the extra length on the top part, and also started pouring their feed on a cement slab instead of in a plastic container, so that they can wear down their beaks a bit. I think some others might have slightly longer beaks than is ideal, but only this SS has un-alignment too.
Is there anything else I can be doing? Is there any way to predict how bad it’s going to end up when she‘s fully grown, considering it’s noticeable at 2 weeks? If it’s ever going to affect her ability to eat and drink to the point where she would rely on me to feed her, I think I would want to rehome her. I need to be able to leave the flock with extra food and water for several days at a time, not find a chicken sitter to bring her special food several times a day.
How many people do you predict would be interested in raising a crossbeak chicken? Would I even be able to rehome her? She’s really sweet and falls asleep in my hand.
Any other thoughts? Ways to prevent it from worsening? What her special needs would look like if I were to keep her? Other causes?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 24965EC2-A9A0-4C63-A49B-48CBB58A4401.jpeg
    24965EC2-A9A0-4C63-A49B-48CBB58A4401.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 38
  • B3E983F4-BD4D-40CF-BA9E-8A48450BE540.jpeg
    B3E983F4-BD4D-40CF-BA9E-8A48450BE540.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 17
Most likely genetic but impossible to know for sure. Same with how mild or how bad it might get - it's likely to get worse, but difficult to know how much worse.

A severe enough case would need active, hands-on care, but that's fairly rare. At this point I'm going to guess that while it'll be more noticeable as she grows, it probably won't be so bad that she won't be able to eat and drink on her own.

She will likely need occasional maintenance, so if that's sounds doable, then no reason not to keep her and give her a shot. If that's not really something you want to manage, then you could probably rehome her easily once it's more obvious that she's a girl, as more folks are happy to take in point of lay pullets.

My crossbeak happens to be my most consistent layer, and needed extra time to learn how to properly use the nipple waterer, but that's about the only thing she's really struggled with.

Back
Top Bottom