1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 weeks old chicks with sore butts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bails g, May 28, 2009.

1. bails g

bails g Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi all!! I am brand new to the chicken raising world. I received 25 chix from MMH. I have 3 that have "sore butts" (for lack of a better word) I thought it was pasty butts and it was irratated from that. I have been cleaning them like 3 times a day and putting Neosporin with pain relief on their little bums. Could it be mites? They are picking at their wings and tail feathers and I was not sure if that was because they were stressed from their butts hurtin? Can I out the Slevin or Sevin stuff (??) on them with there sore butts? under the tail feathers? How long does it take them to heal? They are eating and drinking still, BUT they will not lay down to sleep. They sleep standing, and I noticed my healthy ones sleep flat out. Can anyone tell me what I can do and get these 3 out of the "sick box" and out into freedom with the others? Thanks!![​IMG]

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Could be mites or poultry lice. Try to get some food grade DE and rub it on them (avoid the face)

They could also be too hot , too crowded or bored.........

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I would not use anything with pain reliever in it at all. Could get your chicks sick. Try regular vaseline for a while maybe. It helped with mine that were sore after getting all the pasty butt poo off of them.
    I think the sevin would be way to powerful for chicks yet. Look under their wings and see if you can see anything crawling. Usually you will see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by