2 white geese at Orange county animal shelter in NC

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kla37, Oct 20, 2010.

1. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
  2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I think you should get her. [​IMG]

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I agree

4. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I can't have geese, my yard is way too small! And no water or place for a pool. I signed up on our animal shelter website to be alerted for chickens that may be available for adoption, but chickens wasn't an option, only poultry was, so now I get alerts for all the poultry they get in that need new homes. They sure are pretty though!

5. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    It is a myth that geese need a pool or a large body of water. My don't. Once in a while in the summer I will fill a small pool for them, but honestly it is a pain, it gets filthy within seconds, and I hate to waste all that water.

My poor deprived geese get a 5 gallon bucket of water daily, with they absolutely love. All they need is something deep enough to dunk their heads in. Something half the size of a 5-gallon bucket would be even better (the bucket is a bit tall, and too tall for my ducks).

6. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    My mother and I also own a house together, and she reluctantly agreed with chickens (though she likes them now) and she doesn't want geese!

7. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I sympathize with you! LOL Actually, geese are a bit of a handful...more noisy and definitely more poop! If you free range, they have the annoying habit of popping right outside your doorway, on your deck, sidewalks....anywhere but where you want them to.

So, your mom's reservations do have some merit. :eek:) Still, I love having them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by