2 wk-old mallard orphan

RachG75

Chirping
Jun 5, 2016
Central Illinois
Our local pet store just called me and told me there was a couple looking for a home for a (probably a mallard) duckling they have been raising that was (they think) orphaned. They have been taking care of the duckling for 2 weeks already, but they are realizing the amount of work and space needed for a duck...you all know this story! Anyway, I am already raising 2 3.5-wk-old welsh harlequins. What's one more duckling when I'm already doing the work, right?

My question is, I read that some say or think it is illegal to take eggs or a duckling...well, I didn't do either, am I okay to take this duckling? AND, can I COUNT on it to fly away this fall? I don't really want it to stay, but is that really a death sentence? We live on a lake...I'm sure it will learn to forage with my other ducks, including 2 older Pekins...maybe nature's call down to the lake will be enough?

I know there are probably other threads about this, but the search is only coming back with 2? I'm still trying figure out this new website...

It is illegal to take eggs and or ducklings from the wild but what are you going to do the lil one needs a home till it make it on it's own. You could try contacting a wild life rehabbers in your area and see if they will take it. Other wise take it home and let it grow up I believe it will be happy on your lake with the other wild Mallards once it's get old enough to join them.

I have the room and all the supplies, safe housing, etc...what's one more friend until the fall, right? I am on duckling duty anyway! lol. Is there anything you think I should do differently with that duck? Maybe not cuddle it as much? lololol.

Up to you probably once it gets old enough to hang out on the lake with the other Mallards it will break it's own ties with you. I could be wrong and it will stay with you forever. But hey whats one more lil duck?? Do you let your ducks you have now venture out on the lake?

Up to you probably once it gets old enough to hang out on the lake with the other Mallards it will break it's own ties with you. I could be wrong and it will stay with you forever. But hey whats one more lil duck?? Do you let your ducks you have now venture out on the lake?
They are BIG babies and won't get in unless I do! lol. Then they try to climb up on the float with me. :barnie

I just called the lady back and told her I'd take it and to bring it to me this weekend. My son is going to be so excited! Surprise...it's a duck! lol.

You could still get charged with having the Duckling...Contact a rehab for Wildlife...They raise all the Ducklings to be wild....They will help you...:frow
I did call a wildlife rehab lady who told me to take the duckling from those people who "rescued" it for the last two weeks and to raise it with my ducklings and it will take off with the other wild ducks on our lake. :thumbsup She also asked me if I would be willing to take more wild ducklings! lol. I told her to call me next spring and maybe.

The almost 4-wk-old WH ducklings are being so MEAN! They have given her a little bald spot at the base of her neck. I am having to keep them separated. Last night they slept together with only hardware cloth between them. Then the WH went after her again this morning when I let them all out. Do I need to just let them sort it out for this to end? I am seriously going nuts having 3 duck sections now. lol. The Pekins wanna kill the WHs and the WHs wanna kill the little mallard. :-(

I will answer and Miss Lydia can leave her reply too...
Yes, they need to work out a flock dynamic inorder to know who is in charge and who follows...
They are still Ducklings and only trying to become a working flock.....:frow

Back
Top Bottom