2"x2" Fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reksat, Jul 2, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Would this size fencing be ok for the bottom 2ft of the run. This hardware cloth stuff is so expensive so i was wondering if it would do? Our coop is not far from the house and as far as predators their are a few but we have a dog and cat that patrol the area . Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    As long as you don't have chicks that could hop through the holes and the chickens are locked up in a coop at night, it should be fine. Racoons will pull a chicken through fencing while it sleeps at night. Weasels can easily fit through 2" inch gaps, as could rats and mice. Mice won't eat your chickens but would be after their food.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:I think -no- raccoons can reach easy through that and any non viper snake can get in that too- and rats... and.. and... well just about anything really...

If you want to risk losing you chickens one chunk at a time...

Raccoons are very smart, most cats would get beaten by a raccoon, the dog would have to be outside 24/7 as raccoons are not 'true' nocturnal, they are opportunistic and actually classified as Crepuscular (dawn and dusk active).

4. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Thanks to both of you for the replies.I do have alot invested in this so Iguess it will be better safe than sorry.

5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I'm curious about the responses. If the chickens are going in to a house at night, then are raccoon threats during the day in the run something we need to worry about?

6. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    Ask you local harware store or lumberyard about 50 and 100' hardware cloth...they are usually way cheaper than lowes and homedepot small rolls. I did my windows in coop and whole run for under 100.00 of hardware cloth and have alot left over. see my byc page

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by