2"x4"s as roosts--which way?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dreamgirl, Jul 2, 2007.

1. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Probably a stupid question, but... I'm getting close on the coop and which way do they 2x4 roosts go? with the 4" side up or the 2" side? [​IMG]

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I have several 2x4 roosts in my coop and have some going each way. I think its better for their feet to have some variety in their roosts, ubt if you are only going to have one roost I would say 2" side up (so its on its side, not flat).

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmm, I have mine on the 4" side up. So its flat. I have RIR/mix...and in the winter it gets pretty cold. I wanted them to be able to sit flat on thier feet..to prevent frostbite. Seems to be working so far.

4. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    How high can the roost be? I want to put them above some obstacles, so the roosts would be maybe 4ft off the ground. Is that too high? Do I need to make a ladder up to it? I have Buff Orphingtons, Speckled sussex, ad barred rocks.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've read they should be with the 4" side up for the reason justusnak said...they can sit on their feet and keep them warm in the winter. I've had mine situated that way for 4 years and they seem to be fine and happy with it. As for height, the breeds you list should be able to fly up that high although, if you have some sort of shelf they can get on first, it might be easier.

Ellen

6. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks, I thought about justusask's reason and wanted to be sure.

7. ChicksinBoise

ChicksinBoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    I think either way is fine. Chickens aren't near as picky as we are...

8. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i guess it depends on which environment you live in like in Houston id put the 2 up but in the north i put 4 up

i don't have that kind of roost would a wooden dow (sp?) work it is round and smooth?

9. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, wooden dowels work just fine. You'll find a variety of roosts in use by people on this forum, including dowels, 2x4's, branches, etc.

I'd read the same about the 2x4's. That is, that the 4" side is up. Also, I'd read that it's a good idea to round the edges a bit in this case.

As for the height of 4', I'd heard that a greater concern might be with those heavier breeds jumping down and the injuries that could occur over time. Sorry, can't remember where I've read it here but have seen that on several posts. Might want to ask others their opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by