2 year old pet Cayuga laying soft shelled eggs

waltergreen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
Our sweet Cayuga has no idea she's a duck. She hatched with chicken eggs and wound up imprinting on people since her siblings arrived a week earlier. She will be 2 in May of 2012.

She's laid wonderful eggs since she was 6 months old - not everyday - but in solid streaks. She would typically lay her egg between 7:30 and 8:00 am.

As of February she's been intermittently laying soft shelled eggs. She tends to lay them in the evening or late afternoon and gets very quiet beforehand. I'm so nervous about her becoming egg bound. Often I will let her swim in a warm bath if she's quiet - sometimes she will lay right after, sometimes not.

As for food and extras - she has oyster shell available to her at all times and eats organic layer food from McMurry hatchery. She hasn't molted in just over a year.

In terms of her behavior - she's acting completely normal - until about an hour or two before laying. Other than that, she's the kooky little love bug that she's always been.

Her most recent egg is not only soft but has a weird little tail/tube part.

Most of all, I want her to stay healthy and happy. She will not be bred, just adored. If she is egg bound, will I definitely know? Is there anything I can do to make her eggs more normal? Could this have anything to do with the fact that she spends most of her time inside? I've given her a few vitamin d3 supplements - but am nervous and unsure about dosage and if she can even absorb it.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Our sweet Cayuga has no idea she's a duck. She hatched with chicken eggs and wound up imprinting on people since her siblings arrived a week earlier. She will be 2 in May of 2012.
She's laid wonderful eggs since she was 6 months old - not everyday - but in solid streaks. She would typically lay her egg between 7:30 and 8:00 am.
As of February she's been intermittently laying soft shelled eggs. She tends to lay them in the evening or late afternoon and gets very quiet beforehand. I'm so nervous about her becoming egg bound. Often I will let her swim in a warm bath if she's quiet - sometimes she will lay right after, sometimes not.
As for food and extras - she has oyster shell available to her at all times and eats organic layer food from McMurry hatchery. She hasn't molted in just over a year.
In terms of her behavior - she's acting completely normal - until about an hour or two before laying. Other than that, she's the kooky little love bug that she's always been.
Her most recent egg is not only soft but has a weird little tail/tube part.
Most of all, I want her to stay healthy and happy. She will not be bred, just adored. If she is egg bound, will I definitely know? Is there anything I can do to make her eggs more normal? Could this have anything to do with the fact that she spends most of her time inside? I've given her a few vitamin d3 supplements - but am nervous and unsure about dosage and if she can even absorb it.
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
I would deff make sure she gets more outside time. Sunshine is the best healer. other than that can't see what could be wrong, you are giving her the oyster shell and good food, and sometimes their egg laying equoiptment can go a little nutty but usually works it self out. Try giving her some out door time and see if that helps. And
welcome-byc.gif

I am beginning to develop a guess about your situation, based on my own.

Seems that those of my ducks that are champion layers, and have been going for months and months, just laying, not molting, go through a stage of soft-shelled eggs. I have given neoglucan, calcium gluconate, in addition to layer ration plus free choice oyster shell.

What I have seen is that my runners, who took about three months off after the arrival of the two buffs, are now laying again, without any soft shells. The buffs, however, who have been laying for months, are starting to produce soft shelled eggs, and Shelly also produces membranes with something like a tube at the end.

Somehow it seems to me that their laying system is just pooped out, and they need a rest.

Watch for egg binding, and keep giving calcium, but also hope for a slow down and an extended rest for them. Keep up with giving them vitamins and I am also guessing the more fresh greens the better.

I have started swishing oyster shell in a strainer in their water, to rinse the powdery material into their drinking water, to be sure they are getting more calcium. And we have had better shells about half the time.

That's what I have seen.

hugs.gif

Thank you so much for your advice, Amiga and Miss Lydia. I will make sure she's getting her ducky sunshine and hope for rest.

I've read about force molting - do you think that's something I should do or just let things progress naturally?

I've had limited experience with birds until now ... If she becomes egg bound, is it very apparent? It will look like more than just a quiet couple of hours ... right? (just a worry wart, sorry)

Thank you again! :)

Thank you so much for your advice, Amiga and Miss Lydia. I will make sure she's getting her ducky sunshine and hope for rest.
I've read about force molting - do you think that's something I should do or just let things progress naturally?
I've had limited experience with birds until now ... If she becomes egg bound, is it very apparent? It will look like more than just a quiet couple of hours ... right? (just a worry wart, sorry)
Thank you again!
smile.png

Don't worry about egg binding until you have too. and I wouldn't force her to molt just let things go on naturally, thats the best way. If she seems in discomfort when laying then time to worry. Hopefully it will work itself out. i like the idea about Amiga using the oyster shell in the water. My ducks eat it readily and they don't have any problems with their eggs but I do see a soft shell in my chickens every once in a while so i am going to try the oyster shell rinse. Thanks Amiga. keep i n touch on how she is doing and if it continues then time to do something different.

Back
Top Bottom