2 yr old hen cannot get up

namesherchicks

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Vista, CA
This is day 3 of Sharon's disease. She was limping 4 days ago, and I did not see an accident. She is free range on 4 aces with 12 other hens and 12 turkey chicks (who are half grown). 3 nights ago I saw her in the pen, lying down by herself in the doorway. I picked her up - she did not fight me or make noise. That is unusual. She did not roost overnight. She eats and drinks - but cannot move her body. Her neck does turn. Her feet are cool and her tummy and throat are swollen. She has not been pooping. I gave her some olive oil this morning and stroked her throat. She did not like that. But afterwards, she drank the olive oil with no prompting.

I have had 3 generations of chickens here over several years. I have never treated for worms, or given medicine to any of the poultry. From other posts, I think perhaps it could be worms...?

I appreciate any thoughts you might share with me. I've never had a sick bird before. Fortunately nobody is picking on her.

Thanks

No, not paralyzed. She can scoot around in about a one foot area where she has food and water and bedding. i cleaned poop of of her butt yesterday. She can move her head. She eats. She cannot stand

Well, Sharon was killed yesterday. The other hens were pecking at her, so my husband pout her down. There did not appear to be any disease in her. We don't know what it was. Her legs were yellow and cool...but everything else seemed fine. RIP Sharon.

I am sorry for your loss. I recently put down an ailing hen because the flock turned on her. It's a tough call, but sometimes it has to be made. You did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom