2 yr old Hen stopped laying 6+ months ago

PickUpChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Lompoc Ca
Hi, I have 2 hens. One of them, my black Australorp went broody about 6 months or so ago. We broke her by taking her out of the coop and keeping her out with the other hen (read online to break her sooner then later so she can eat and "snap out of it"). Since then, she has not laid eggs. Our Buff Orpington is the only one laying eggs so it rules out temperature and day light or other common reasons for a hen to stop laying. She is the smaller one of the 2 but everything appears normal. She eats, drinks, and is active. I've examined her and everything appears normal. Everything normal in the coop as well. No abnormal droppings or feathers laying around.

Side note: We did remove one of two roosters (we bought two silkies, which both turned out to be roos but one was more aggressive & harassed our hens a lot so we got rid of him.) The roo that remains is very mellow, doesn't bother them one bit. He tends to be the protector of the flock.

Anyway, we don't mind TOO much that she's not laying, it's just a bummer. I read reviews of what great layers they are so I don't know what's wrong. Is there anything I can do or is this something I just have to wait out? I've been patiently waiting and realized the hot months passed and so did the cold, but still no sign of her laying... Thanks in advance for all your input and advise.

We also have 2 hens and both have stopped laying eggs. One was loosing feathers but neither have been hanging out in the nesting box so I'm not sure if they would be considered Broody.

I can post a photo tonight when I get home :) Mine are not molting. They did last summer, there was a whole mess of feathers everywhere so it was pretty obvious when they did.

Last edited:

So I get home when it's already dark so I didn't want to bother the girls for a picture but I picked up two eggs and they appear to be different in size and slightly off by shade. I'm guessing it's one from each! Could they be laying one every other day and switching off? Anyway. I'm gonna say it's good luck posting in BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom