2 yr old rooster has gone psycho

Centrarchid, I agree with your take on my late- developing bad boys. BUT, I'm not the only person here, and I have more than one rooster always. Whatever the reasons, human aggression is not tolerated here. Twice, a rooster who behaved badly here, rehomed as an only rooster in another flock, turned out fine. Both times they were sent off to be dinner, with full disclosure, and were kept rather than eaten. Worked out well for all concerned! They also didn't reproduce in their new digs, all the better. Mary

Centrarchid, I agree with your take on my late- developing bad boys.  BUT, I'm not the only person here, and I have more than one rooster always.  Whatever the reasons,  human aggression is not tolerated here.  Twice, a rooster who behaved badly here, rehomed as an only rooster in another flock, turned out fine.  Both times they were sent off to be dinner, with full disclosure, and were kept rather than eaten.  Worked out well for all concerned!  They also didn't reproduce in their new digs,  all the better.  Mary

I can see the complications of having multiple human parties to contend with making my suggestions impractical for you. In my household rules are set for all parties, including our children of age to follow and visitors. This makes behavior management easier on birds. I have demonstrated capacity to eject parties that do not follow proper protocols around livestock which is sometimes beyond what some would be inclined to consider nice.

In the greater scheme of things the impacts of selecting most strains of breeds used in the backyard scene will have minimal impact on most backyard flocks with respect to genetics. We in the U.S. currently treat backyard chickens almost like cut-flowers. Virtually all you start with comes from a few commercial sources that use numbers produced as a dominant consideration when selecting animals as breeders. Most folks out there then want hen only flocks or a mixture of breeds that makes keeping any number of one breed as needed for selective breeding impractical. I will bet >90% of all backyard birds are no more than three generations out from being of commercial hatchery origin which means most backyard flocks die out in their entirety quite frequently. Based on observations most people enjoy chickens for a couple of years then move on to another hobby. The typical backyard chicken then resorts to commercial hatcheries to either re-boot flock or replace losses. The commercial hatcheries would not be able to persist without this latter arrangement. Taken in this light, your birds, even the ones making your cut based on looks, production criteria, and behavior are most likely dead ends where they will not make a significant contribution to future generations of backyard chickens. Exceptions to this are largely in the hands of hobbyist breeding birds for show and that does not always agree with what a breed should be other than appearance to a judge. You can also find birds with propensity to be jerks even in those show strains.

The cut-flower situation makes easier simply swapping a bird out for another as you are doing or investing in behavior management like I can do. Do not get me wrong, my flock is closed and on gamefowl side the exact same line comes to me over many chicken generations from my great-great grandfather so behavior modification through selection has occurred but at this point is so well done no real concerted selection effort is needed under current management system.

As of last Wednesday, my roo has seemingly made a full recovery and is back to his feisty self. Thanks to all here for your help and well wishes, and those who PM'd me with their knowledge and advice! I still have no idea what was actually wrong with him, ..and I now have most every (unopened) chicken drug and remedy known to man. :) I've learned more than I ever cared to about chicken ailments though, ..and if there is a next time, I shall be fully prepared!
Anyway, I'm happy to have him back at full power. It was amazing how much I missed that crow and his daily antics while he was sick! Now, much to some peoples dismay I'm sure, ..I love him even more. :) I can't even tell you how many times I've heard the "Chickens are farm animals, not pets" speech while I was trying to get him well, and I understand that, ..but nevertheless, that ship has sailed, and I can't 'unlove' this rooster.

Now, ..back to trying to manage his behavior. He's also back to his 'fake tid-bitting' most times that I go in the yard, but hasn't yet charged or come at me again. I now just stand there when he does this, inching up to him without squaring off at him or challenging, ..and he will either just quit and walk away muttering, or stands there and lets me pick him up. So.. so far anyway, ..so good.

So glad to hear that your roo is well again. I can definitely understand your feelings for him.... I would feel the same. I have also heard "it's just a chicken". Well, I for one love all my "just chickens" and don't care if anyone else understands or feel as though I have to justify my feelings. I hope everything continues to go well for you and your roo. Would still love to see a picture of this now popular and well discussed roo :)

Bring in some hired muscle, another to put him in his place that is if all else fails

This can work! I got sick of a cockerel that took to puffing up and attacking me, grabbed and tossed him outside the pen with free range flock. The other roosters quickly made it clear he was not "all that and more" and he calmed down a lot.

Still refused to breed him though. Don't want to breed roos with genetic tendency towards aggression even with calm proper raising.

On second thought- OP has only roo, right? If he defeats the second roo he might become even worse?

Anyways, getting rid of a mean roo is ALWAYS a perfectly valid option in cases where it is causing stress, reduction in quality of care for the flock or if any one is getting hurt or causes family members to lose enjoyment in the flock or being outside. Just not worth it.

Last edited:
My Maran roo cuddles has been in trouble today!
I decide to try to introduce my pekin roo and his two hens
To my three maran roos and three maran hens
Well they are fine very sweet together, all except cuddles
He'd get near one young pekin hen pretending to be eating grass
Then lunge at her feet on her head pecking her
I was so cross I locked him in his coop
He banged about kept sticking his beak through the vents
Eventually I gave him another chance let him out and the little devil
Attacked her again, so he went straight back to bed with a good telling off,

I can't believe my beautiful cuddles is such a bully

Scratch the post where I thought he was well, ..he is not! I'm almost certain now that he has gapeworm. I saw him doing that yawn thing again, and when I picked him up he was gasping, stretching his throat, and I heard a gurgling sound...almost a sound like something going down the drain.
I've never noticed any kind of respiratory distress before, and he is acting fine again, but he is obviously NOT.
Of course, AGAIN it is Sunday, and I can't get any meds. From what I've just read here, I need to get Levamisole. I doubt my feed store even has this, so I'm going to order it. I just hope it isn't too late. Who knows how long he's had this, but it's been at least a week. :-(

Seems this nightmare just won't end. Someone above mentioned gapeworm too.. I wish I'd looked into it sooner, but other people explained the yawning away and he did seem so much better at that point!
I'm a terrible chicken mom. omg.. and here I'd thought raising chickens would be easy..
He is in the yard crowing right now, and acting fine. What the hell? I'm hoping that this means I have enough time to get the medicine.

Last edited:
 Scratch the post where I thought he was well, ..he is not! I'm almost certain now that he has gapeworm. I saw him doing that yawn thing again, and when I picked him up he was gasping, stretching his throat, and I heard a gurgling sound...almost a sound like something going down the drain.
I've never noticed any kind of respiratory distress before, and he is acting fine again, but he is obviously NOT.
Of course, AGAIN it is Sunday, and I can't get any meds. From what I've just read here, I need to get Levamisole. I doubt my feed store even has this, so I'm going to order it. I just hope it isn't too late. Who knows how long he's had this, but it's been at least a week. :-(

Seems this nightmare just won't end. Someone above mentioned gapeworm too.. I wish I'd looked into it sooner, but other people explained the yawning away and he did seem so much better at that point!
I'm a terrible chicken mom. omg.. and here I'd thought raising chickens would be easy..
 He is in the yard crowing right now, and acting fine. What the hell? I'm hoping that this means I have enough time to get the medicine.

If it is gape , I would forget the levamisole and go straight to valbazen . I'm pretty sure @ Dawg 53 recommends worming them for 5 consecutive days.

http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom