20 hours since first pip and the chick hasn't hatched? Try this tip

alireza18feb

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Hello
I had two eggs with the first pip but no more progress than that
There are plenty of reasons why that can occur, what worked for me might not apply everywhere, anyway here's my case
Sometimes cheap incubators(like mine) don't do a great job of balancing the temperature inside, even the best thermostats sometimes need to be calibrated, I checked the temperature around those eggs with a precise medical thermometer and I realized they were 34 C, that's too cold for a chick that's about to hatch, so as soon as I raised the temperature to 37.7 C they gained strength and started to unzip, one of them hatched in less than an hour.

Hello
I had two eggs with the first pip but no more progress than that
There are plenty of reasons why that can occur, what worked for me might not apply everywhere, anyway here's my case
Sometimes cheap incubators(like mine) don't do a great job of balancing the temperature inside, even the best thermostats sometimes need to be calibrated, I checked the temperature around those eggs with a precise medical thermometer and I realized they were 34 C, that's too cold for a chick that's about to hatch, so as soon as I raised the temperature to 37.7 C they gained strength and started to unzip, one of them hatched in less than an hour.
You should have calibrated a thermometer prior to even thinking about setting eggs to check the incubator temp.
Glad they hatched ok though! Congrats!

You should have calibrated a thermometer prior to even thinking about setting eggs to check the incubator temp.
Glad they hatched ok though! Congrats!
It was calibrated but I realized one of the chicks had displaced the sensor and that caused bad temps
But yeah next time I'll place the sensor somewhere the chicks can't get to
Thanks tho

Last edited:
It was calibrated but I realized one of the chicks had displaced the sensor and that caused bad temps
But yeah next time I place the sensor somewhere the chicks can't get to
Thanks tho
Ah, ok.
No problem. Thanks for the info! What kind of incubator were you using?

Ah, ok.
No problem. Thanks for the info! What kind of incubator were you using?
You're welcome
Actually I was trying to rebuild an incubator from a viral video on YouTube
Many said it was a fake
But it worked OK, I placed 5 eggs in it and 4 hatched and the fifth one would also hatch if the temp weren't too low, it was a fully grown chick that died in the egg due to the temp being too high
Here's a link
But I wouldn't recommend it because of poor insulation, you have to change the thermostat settings at times. The ambient temp really affects the indoor conditions.

You're welcome
Actually I was trying to rebuild an incubator from a viral video on YouTube
Many said it was a fake
But it worked OK, I placed 5 eggs in it and 4 hatched and the fifth one would also hatch if the temp weren't too low, it was a fully grown chick that died in the egg due to the temp being too high
Here's a link
But I wouldn't recommend it because of poor insulation, you have to change the thermostat settings at times. The ambient temp really affects the indoor conditions.
Wow, you hatched chicks in one of those?!?! Can I see a pic of yours?

Wow, you hatched chicks in one of those?!?! Can I see a pic of yours?
I put the eggs down on the floor of the eggs so they'd be more comfortable, that's where the problems started, I had to change the settings and...
Sure
I don't incubate for meat, I can't eat my chickens, I steal their eggs tho

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_233120.png
    IMG_20210320_233120.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom