1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

20 meaties today from cackle (only paid for 15).

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by scottyboy1975, Feb 25, 2014.

1. scottyboy1975

scottyboy1975 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Roby, Missouri
    So my 2014 meat bird experiment started today. Last year it didn't go too bad. Tried fermented feed last year and the lil suckers refused to eat it. This year I am going with 22% starter. Any suggestions with how I should feed to maximize size in 8-10 weeks. Going to keep posting here to all who want informed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. Congrats on the new batch.

If you want MAX size in 8 weeks go with feed 24/7 or at least 16 hrs on 8 off daily. If you are able try getting some 24% to increase weight gain.

You can also try some fodder to see if they gobble that down if you want to go a more "natural" way. Mine have always gone for the feed.

Wish ya the best.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Looking forward to following this thread.

4. pipemum

pipemum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    How did you only pay $15 from Cackle? I'm jealous-- I just went online and the price for 25 was much more than that.

My meaties prefer dry over fermented, but they will eat both. I do small batches of CX as well...I have 10 4-week olds right now, and this is the first time I've had them on 24/7 feed. My previous batches, I had them on limited feed, 2-3x a day, fermented feed only. This time, due to my schedule, I just don't have time to feed move than 1x a day, so by default, I have a feeder available 24/7 for them. I'm not really noticing a difference, so far, between having feed limited and having feed constantly available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by