20 week old pullets seem SMALL. pictures added.

Namble

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2009
North Florida
I have 30 or about that many 20 week old pullets of different breeds. I have been feeding them chick starter/grower since they were 1 day old. And some veggatables and bread here and there. Just today I switched them to laying mash because I was told they need it to prepare for laying. But I don't think I'll be getting any eggs from them for awhile. What have I been doing wrong because they seem way undersize. There combs aren't even coming in very much. As you can see in the pictures they are pretty small.

31919_chickens_kids_ebay_029.jpg

31919_chickens_kids_ebay_032.jpg

31919_chickens_kids_ebay_030.jpg

31919_chickens_kids_ebay_027.jpg

Last edited:
A watched pot never boils! They do look "young" but then one morning you look out and you think "Where did my chicks go?" Things like weather and heat can cause a stresser to the hens that can affect maturation. Don't give up on them yet, They look good.

Thank you for posting this question!!!! I was afraid to because mine are also 20 weeks old and don't have much comb and wattle to them. And they're not laying either. I was afraid I would be accused of not feeding them enough to cause them to mature but they get Flock Raiser, free choice grit and oyster shell, scratch at night (just a bit), yoghurt, raisins, crickets . . . . They seem healthy; they run around the yard and will sometimes go into a sort of free-for-all race across the yard to me, running and flapping wildly. They just seem to be stuck in this stage of almost hen but still chickie.

Mary in Colorado

Back
Top Bottom