20 weeks old and not laying?!

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
My hens are about 20 weeks old and are not laying eggs. I have three hens and three roosters. They’re on layer feed and scratch food. They do not have a run yet to us having to build one our selves. We have two egg boxes. Help?!?

Twenty weeks is very young yet. While it is possible for SOME birds to lay that young it is more common for them to lay at 26 weeks or later.

Having 50% female and 50% males is not a good ratio and will stress the females which can stop laying. Once they start mating that many males will damage the females causing injuries. You hey are also likely to fight each other which is a bloody gruesome thing to see. I recommend not having any roosters unless you have at least 10 females.

How are you feeding the scratch? It is a treat and should be used sparingly. By sparingly I mean 1 Tablespoon per bird per day.

Layer feed is not good for roosters. The calcium content can cause kidney damage if fed that long term.

Twenty weeks is very young yet. While it is possible for SOME birds to lay that young it is more common for them to lay at 26 weeks or later.

Having 50% female and 50% males is not a good ratio and will stress the females which can stop laying. Once they start mating that many males will damage the females causing injuries. You hey are also likely to fight each other which is a bloody gruesome thing to see. I recommend not having any roosters unless you have at least 10 females.

How are you feeding the scratch? It is a treat and should be used sparingly. By sparingly I mean 1 Tablespoon per bird per day.

Layer feed is not good for roosters. The calcium content can cause kidney damage if fed that long term.
I usually only do two handfuls every couple days. not more than that

I usually only do two handfuls every couple days. not more than that
My happy free-range pullets started to lay at 17, 18, 19 weeks so far (Sapphire Gem, Easter Egger, Rhode Island Reds). The Barred Rock, Leghorns, and Wyandottes are practicing the egg song at 20 weeks and will lay very soon, the Bielefelders probably in another 4 weeks.
I completely agree that 1-1 ratio of hens to roosters is way, way too much and will cause stress, especially if they don't have a spacious run to get away. When you say they don't have a run, does this mean they have no access to sunlight? In order to lay at all, chickens must have 14-16 hours of light a day. Crowded conditions can also cause stress, which slows egg production.
I would also worry about the two handfuls of scratch bringing the protein content down. One handful of scratch is enough for 4.5 chickens. So two handfuls is enough for 9 chickens. Here's an article about how too much scratch can lower protein: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/scratch-and-treats-can-reduce-egg-production.1487445/
Best wishes to you--and for that wonderful day when you find their first egg in the nest!

My happy free-range pullets started to lay at 17, 18, 19 weeks so far (Sapphire Gem, Easter Egger, Rhode Island Reds). The Barred Rock, Leghorns, and Wyandottes are practicing the egg song at 20 weeks and will lay very soon, the Bielefelders probably in another 4 weeks.
I completely agree that 1-1 ratio of hens to roosters is way, way too much and will cause stress, especially if they don't have a spacious run to get away. When you say they don't have a run, does this mean they have no access to sunlight? In order to lay at all, chickens must have 14-16 hours of light a day. Crowded conditions can also cause stress, which slows egg production.
I would also worry about the two handfuls of scratch bringing the protein content down. One handful of scratch is enough for 4.5 chickens. So two handfuls is enough for 9 chickens. Here's an article about how too much scratch can lower protein: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/scratch-and-treats-can-reduce-egg-production.1487445/
Best wishes to you--and for that wonderful day when you find their first egg in the nest!
They have a run and i have no roosters. And i don’t do scratch for them anymore. They get their food mixed with a little bit of water so it turns into a mush and meal works for treats. I give them a little bit of carrots sometimes too.

My hens are about 20 weeks old and are not laying eggs. I have three hens and three roosters. They’re on layer feed and scratch food. They do not have a run yet to us having to build one our selves. We have two egg boxes. Help?!?

They have a run and i have no roosters. And i don’t do scratch for them anymore. They get their food mixed with a little bit of water so it turns into a mush and meal works for treats. I give them a little bit of carrots sometimes too.
Ok so you had roosters but they are gone now?

What breed are your 3 chickens? Different breeds will start laying at different times. Can you post a picture of them? Sometimes you can tell when they are getting ready to lay by the redness in their combs.

Ok so you had roosters but they are gone now?

What breed are your 3 chickens? Different breeds will start laying at different times. Can you post a picture of them? Sometimes you can tell when they are getting ready to lay by the redness in their combs.
They are all already laying. I posted an update in the thread. Thank you

I misunderstood your post then or didn't read the update: You wrote: "My hens are about 20 weeks old and are not laying eggs. I have three hens and three roosters. They’re on layer feed and scratch food. They do not have a run yet to us having to build one our selves. We have two egg boxes. Help?!? ,,,,I usually only do two handfuls { of scratch} every couple days. not more than that...."

I had thought this was a new post, but I see your update now and that your original post was almost a month ago. Sorry for the confusion....

Back
Top Bottom