$200 chicken?

I love the look of the Asils. They look like little raptors! I am raising Dark Cornish which of course were bred from the Asils. They have a very regal and serious look to them. But I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley!

This thread has been cleaned up. As a reminder, there will be no reference to fighting chickens on BYC. It is against the rules, which can be reviewed here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/misc.php?action=rules Any further discussion on this topic will result in locking this thread and an immediate time out. I would suggest you review your individual posts to see if you were "edited" for this topic and take that as your only warning.

Thanks to those who attempted to keep this an informational breed discussion. For this reason I will reopen the thread.

Quote:
Are they worth it? I'm sure they are to the person who buys them, just like half a dozen black copper marans hatching eggs are worth over $100 to the folks that will pay it.

It takes more than just buying a pair and hatching out babies. You have to select for health and vigor, for the right shape, features, weight, etc.... You need to actually know about the breed before you even make the attempt. Research the breed, find some breeders to speak with. Oriental gamefowl are not for everyone. I happen to love them, they are a joy and an experience to have on my yard.

My neighbor has about 50 or so of these there beautiful really once you get past the whole grimace look all the time and the chicks are so calm they walk right up to you even if your a stranger I can easily pick their chicks up. The roosters are HUGE! and their not mean I have a young rooster he gave me I ended up giving it back because the hens picked on him. They are very strong broodies and will attack you if you get near their eggs though I found out the hard way
hmm.png

Quote:
Well Said! Another good example would be race horses - if you buy two colts from Kentucky Derby winning parents, breed them together once mature, are there offspring worth as much as you paid? Its not garanteed. you have to do your research, be very selective about your breeding AND what your selling, and of course there's the important factor of "there only worth that much if you can find someone willing to pay that much".

First off we don't have the add explaining the birds in question, only the pictures and the price.

Secondly, they can ask for $200, but getting $200 is another thing entirely. People are strange about what they think is rare or what things are worth. Just check out Craigslist and you will see people putting stupid prices on birds because they think they are rare or in high demand.

Thirdly, Yes there are $200 birds that you might turn your nose up at but I might be willing to pay for, or sell for that much.

Unless we have all the facts we don't know what the truth is.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom