$200 chicken?

Asils (aseels).... very ugly birds indeed....

Aseel09-1.jpg

WahlXMom.jpg

WahlCock010909-1.jpg

AseelGrade1.jpg

ZookAsils.jpg

Quote:
Well Said! Another good example would be race horses - if you buy two colts from Kentucky Derby winning parents, breed them together once mature, are there offspring worth as much as you paid? Its not garanteed. you have to do your research, be very selective about your breeding AND what your selling, and of course there's the important factor of "there only worth that much if you can find someone willing to pay that much".

If they'd be both colts - -how would they be able to breed??????????????????
lau.gif

Quote:
Only overpriced if they are not your cup of tea... to each their own. I've seen people pay thousands of dollars for model trains, hundreds for Barbie dolls, dump thousands into motorcycles, boats, ATVs... we all spend our money on our "hobbies" in different ways, in the end it is what makes you happy. Me I like a nice steak, fresh off the grill, others may not, (sorry, just had to go there, curious what do a couple of Vegans do with chickens?)....
wink.png
big_smile.png

Oh lol! When I was a kid I thought colt meant young horse. I was much older before I realized it meant male young horse.

I wouldn't say asil are ugly--just that they dont appeal to me. RIR and orpingtons don't either. But I am glad that there are people who do find each appealing.

I saw a regular old meat bird go for $475.00 in an auction last year. Yep, no joke. Ours went for $175.00. No lie, not kidding, and no joke.

I'll explaine:

In Obion County Tennessee, the Tyson plant has a program for kids. The deal is to enter it costs $10.00, They give you a date to pick up your chicks. You get 25 straight run chicks and 40 lbs of starter. Your child (you) take care of them and fatten them up until the fair in August. Yu pick out the best, fattest 3 that are the same size and take them to the fair for the chicken show. The judges pick the best in different age groups then narrow it down to the best 4. After they decide who places where you go infront of the auction with 1 bird and it gets auctioned off. They are area businesses, friends and family that have money. All the birds you bring to the show have to be surrendered and unfortunately they go to the processing plant to be made into dog food. You keep the ones at home to do what you wish with. Every child's bird gets auctioned no matter how pitiful they look.

If you live in Obion County Tennessee and have room and the money to fatten up a bunch of chickens and don't mind buchering I'd go for it. Oh yeah, they only use hens in the auction. Roos are not used. WE kept some of ours last year and the last one we didn't butcher yet got so big she couldn't hold up her weight anymore. We where going to have her for Thanksgiving until I discovered that the older they are the tougher they are. Thats why she got so big.

There is a starter that starts with a "D" that is best to use to fatten them up quick. I heard at the auction that the people that ALWAYS WIN use that food, airconditioned coop, concrete floor with pine shavings scattered and cleaned everyday. Deffinately more work than i'm willing to do or can do

Anyway, I just thought I would throw that in. Who knows somebody might be interested next year. Too late this year.

Quote:
I can't remember the breed but they stand like they are the proudest chicken ever. Tail straight up and wings touching the ground and head up. Just royal I think. But my favorite is the Phoenix. I do have a little banty that is turningout to be the cutesst thing i've ever seen. A Cochin Splash Bantham. It is a lavender color. So far it has a little puffy tail and a mohawk and lots of feathers on its feet, just cute.

Back
Top Bottom