2012 Spring Seed Swap

Couple years ago I belonged to a few different swapping forums. I have quite a few heirloom seeds, mostly veggies, few flowers. Always looking for what I don't have which right now are peppers, long island cheese pumpkin, sunflowers, and popping corn. Anyone inerested?

How long can I keep seeds? I am starting a new garden from scratch this year and Im afraid I may not be able to get all my seeds in before its too late. Can I keep them for next year? If so how do I store them, I would assume in a cool dark dry location so I hope Im right.

Bock I would be very interested! Anything your looking for? PM me and we will work something out. As far as seed storage, I'm sure you are aware but don't keep hybrid seeds, they will not be true! However I air dry my cleaned seeds in pie pans scattered throughout my house! Then I place them either in a ziploc or in a mason jar, sealed tight with either rice or a small silica insert found in new purchases, shoes, purses, etc....

How long can I keep seeds? I am starting a new garden from scratch this year and Im afraid I may not be able to get all my seeds in before its too late. Can I keep them for next year? If so how do I store them, I would assume in a cool dark dry location so I hope Im right.

I have seeds that are over 5 years old and are still germinating. I keep my seeds in individual paper envelopes, by variety, and have them sorted in shoe boxes. I keep them in the freezer until I need them. There are a few I still have in plastic baggies that are also still germinating.

Bock I would be very interested! Anything your looking for? PM me and we will work something out. As far as seed storage, I'm sure you are aware but don't keep hybrid seeds, they will not be true! However I air dry my cleaned seeds in pie pans scattered throughout my house! Then I place them either in a ziploc or in a mason jar, sealed tight with either rice or a small silica insert found in new purchases, shoes, purses, etc....
pm sent

My garden is looking great! I have some of my yearly favorites and some that might become new favorites that I have recieved from our swap. We have been having salads nightly since early last week with fresh lettuce. I have iceburg and baby romain. I put out 1/4 lb of silver queen corn that is already about 8 inches high. Just recently, from the swap, I planted appaloosa beans and dragons tongue beans. I bought some blue lake and butter beans in the pole variety. Okra, also from the swap, has started to poke its head out. Carrots, beets, turnips and radishes are all doing very well. There is a small patch of an heirloom variety of purple kholerabi that adds nice color (from the swap). From the swap in 2011, I have I don't know how many broccoli plants growing. We lost the label on some of the seed starting trays so as to which is cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower is just a guess. I do know that I planted an extra 20 plants that I KNEW were broccoli. The potatoes are starting to flower already. Besides onion and zuchini, I think thats about it. In the greenhouse, I started over 30 variety of pumpkin, squash, gourd and melons that have just gotten thier second leaf and will go down in the garden in the bottoms this weekend. I have finally started winning the battle with the deer on my new grape vines. They kept eating them off so I took the eggs from the lone female turkey I have and made a mixture of 25% egg and 75% water in a spraybottle and spray them every other week. They are growing back very quickly. Now the deer have moved on the lettuce patch so that area got treated with egg last night (just around the lettuce, not on it)

I think this was the seed swap where someone sent ground cherries, but not sure. Anyway I planted the seeds and have 4 suspicious looking plants that I am trying to decide if they are the ground cherries or weeds can anyone identify these?

Hey BockBock When we gonna do a 2013 Seed Swap? Im getting the winter garden blues!
You asked for it!
tongue2.gif
After 9 inches of snow the day after Christmas we are in the mid 50's here today and the spring fever bug is already biting. I bought my seed starting mix just yesterday!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735686/2013-spring-seed-swap

Back
Top Bottom