2013 birds in the freezer

Peruvian

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Vermont
We ordered 40 CX chicks from Burr Farm and received 41 on April 25th. Two were lost quickly (3 days in shipping). They stayed in the brooder in the garage for 3 weeks and then moved to the front yard into a hoop house tractor. We lost one to 'flip' (first time ever) at 6 weeks. We processed them on June 21st.

Final costs:
$38 for chicks
$222.50 for 750lbs of non-certified organic feed
$5 for lighting/electricity)
$5 for shrink bags/tags/staples
_____
$270.50

We ended up with 168 lbs so that's approx. $1.60/lb. for organic, pastured poultry. Much better than $4.50/lb at the farmer's market.

very very nice!
thumbsup.gif

Very cool! Have you thought of doing fermented feed? That would reduce your cost even more. Although getting your organic feed for ~15.00/bag sounds like a great deal too :)

Very cool! Have you thought of doing fermented feed? That would reduce your cost even more. Although getting your organic feed for ~15.00/bag sounds like a great deal too :)

I read the thread when it was about 300 pages but honestly it seemed like a pain. I'm sure if I saw it in action (as opposed to reading about it), I could pick it up. In the meantime, I pay $28/100lb for my feed and had to buy on 50lb bag for $30 (organic feed at the pet store is expensive) so my costs are pretty reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom