2014 breeding season begins, post your results

So what is the dry measure to give to her birds?
If she wants each of her 5 peafowl to get 227mg each the it's 1/2 a pound or 1.6 ounces each. Since she has a scale that can weigh eggs she should be able to figure that out.
big_smile.png
Is that what you meant?

-Kathy

If she wants each of her 5 peafowl to get 227mg each the it's 1/2 a pound or 1.6 ounces each. Since she has a scale that can weigh eggs she should be able to figure that out. :D  Is that what you meant?

-Kathy

I already gave it to them. They have no synthoms! But the giluineas free range, I don't want them bringing anything home! I gave them 1/2 lb. All their other food was gonee

If she wants each of her 5 peafowl to get 227mg each the it's 1/2 a pound or 1.6 ounces each. Since she has a scale that can weigh eggs she should be able to figure that out.
big_smile.png
Is that what you meant?

-Kathy
yes kinda but if 1.1 pound will treat 1100 pounds animal don't ya think have a half a pound for 5 /10 pound peas a bit much?

Last edited:
A 1000 pound cow is a 453.592 kilogram cow, right? Cows get just 5mg per kilogram, so that's 453.592kg * 5mg = 2267.96mg (2.7 grams), which is what's in one pound. The dose that we recommended is for poultry, and poultry get 50mg per kilogram. If that 1000 pound cow were a peacock it would get 10 pounds. Make sense? I'm not very good at explaining these things, so maybe someone else could?

-Kathy

Edited to add that poultry don't *always* get 50mg/kg, sometimes they get less, but it's usually more than 5mg/kg.

Last edited:
Quote: Birds with a heavy parasite load may not show any symptoms until it's too late. The only way to know they do not have a heavy worm load is to do fecals on them (or have fecals done).

So a lot of us worm on a regular schedule as a preventative measure. Or you may end up losing birds... like you know who, who just lost 2 of his Pea Hens to parasites
roll.png

Last edited:
One of my boys was acting droopy, so I took him to the vet. Well I had wormed all peafowl end of January first of February with safegaurd for the three days, so I knew it couldn't be worms. He had whip worms which the vet called something else in fowl but basically whip worms. I told him I wormed them and he said it must have been old then, I told him it was in date and I had wormed them for the 3 days. He looked at me and said well there is your problem nothing except a direct dose would work in three days he said 5 days he would even say seven wouldn't hurt. I told him everything I had studied said three ( I read this on different websites not here where most are giving direct doses) he said I am the third generation vet and have been doing this over thirty years, the next time ask me not the internet. Well I left feeling very sad that I had not done right by my birds. Worming all my birds as we speak. Just thought I would put this out there. I wish I had known this. Because I mix mine in water so I guess they were not drinking enough to get the full dose.

One of my boys was acting droopy, so I took him to the vet. Well I had wormed all peafowl end of January first of February with safegaurd for the three days, so I knew it couldn't be worms. He had whip worms which the vet called something else in fowl but basically whip worms. I told him I wormed them and he said it must have been old then, I told him it was in date and I had wormed them for the 3 days. He looked at me and said well there is your problem nothing except a direct dose would work in three days he said 5 days he would even say seven wouldn't hurt. I told him everything I had studied said three ( I read this on different websites not here where most are giving direct doses) he said I am the third generation vet and have been doing this over thirty years, the next time ask me not the internet. Well I left feeling very sad that I had not done right by my birds. Worming all my birds as we speak. Just thought I would put this out there. I wish I had known this. Because I mix mine in water so I guess they were not drinking enough to get the full dose.
So what did he recommend dose wise?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom