2014 breeding season begins, post your results

5th and last hatch for us this year.
big_smile.png
3 weeks in the incubator and 1 week under my broody CBS hen.

And they are ALL pretty ones! (Insert smiley clapping and a big thumbs up!)

Congrats, they're cute!

-Kathy

Such cuties!!
clap.gif

Congrats!!

And they are ALL pretty ones! (Insert smiley clapping and a big thumbs up!)

Thank you all! This is my fav. hatch because it is such a colorful mix, one of the whites actually is not a white, it is a silver pied and is the whitest silver pied we've ever hatched. It has 2 little tan dots on its head and 1 tiny brown tail feather, you can barely see the color( or I need those glasses more than I thought!)
lau.gif
Sorry it has taken so long to reply, it has been really crazy lately, we sold a yearling spalding last Thursday along with 4 eggs, sold another 4 eggs Sat. ,adopted 2 barn cats on Fri. to help with the mouse issue in the barn, I have 2 ladies coming(I hope) this week for chicks and possibly my 5 yr. silver pied male. And another gentleman who has reserved the next 4 eggs. Busy time, now I wish I had set more eggs!
big_smile.png
Hope everyone else is doing well!

@KsKingBee how are your hatches going now? Any difference since you switched from the Lysol?

@q8peafowl how are your chicks doing? Did you get the possible cocci problem cleared up?

@casportpony congrats on the sale! Can't keep 'em all, much as we would like to! Right now I have 31 big ones and 20 babies,
ep.gif
51 Peacocks is just too many for a hobbyist like myself!

@KsKingBee how are your hatches going now? Any difference since you switched from the Lysol?

Much better thank you! Hatch rates are up after changing to the GQF incubator. I had mostly given up on the Hatchcraft and set three broody hens with pea eggs then the GQF took over and the hatching started to get better. A lot of my eggs were clear from being first year hens but I think that the humidity was too high in the Hatchcraft. I never figured out why some of the chicks just would not wake up and pip though.

The GQF came set at 100 from the factory and I have not change it, of course all the hatches pip early. Our best hatch we found them hatching out the day I was going to put them in lock down, so the DW said that from now on we practice the LTTFA! method. So we now wait for them to start piping before we move them down into the hatching tray. We have been hatching out about a half dozen every five to seven days but we are also tossing out twice that many eggs.

The broody hens in the chicken coop are due Thursday and we candled out half of them the other night. One thing that was very noticeable was the size of the air cell was nearly half the size of the egg, one was internally piped already. A local breeder has told me that she uses a very low humidity, around 40% for incubating and higher, around 60% for hatching for her best results. This may mimic our natural local conditions better than what is taught in the manuals. I have noticed that I have to help less of the chicks out when they humidity is lower.

Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom