2016 BYC Calendar - Your Pictures Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@chicken4prez I think that is a BO. very broody breed in general, but try telling that to my buff orpington april! she is no more broody than a cricket!

@chicken4prez I think that is a BO. very broody breed in general, but try telling that to my buff orpington april! she is no more broody than a cricket!

Same here, Bubbles! I have a BO who has never shown the slightest interest in being broody. I have an Easter Egger, Agatha, who has been broody - sit tight and get the job done no matter what broody - twice now, the first time when she was only 8 months old. <sigh> I don't think they read the book yet.

This has to be the cutest photo EVER!!!! What breed is the hen?
Thanks everybody for the kind words! Yes, she's a buff orpington and the other one we have even goes broody on the roosting post! We'll have to keep them off the nest for the winter, but I'm happy to have some more free chickens come spring!

BTW, if anyone is saying 'I'd love to hatch some chicks, but I'm not 'allowed' to have a rooster', neither am I but this seems to be working out:

Same here, Bubbles! I have a BO who has never shown the slightest interest in being broody. I have an Easter Egger, Agatha, who has been broody - sit tight and get the job done no matter what broody - twice now, the first time when she was only 8 months old. I don't think they read the book yet.
We don't have any broody chickens. We have 32 chickens but like I said, none of our chickens are broody. We have one Silkie but she's not broody and the people who we got Lily from (the Silkie) said all Silkie's are broody. But we don't need broody chickens becase we don't hatch our chickens. So its good
1f609.png
263a.png

Last edited:
S
Thanks everybody for the kind words! Yes, she's a buff orpington and the other one we have even goes broody on the roosting post! We'll have to keep them off the nest for the winter, but I'm happy to have some more free chickens come spring!

BTW, if anyone is saying 'I'd love to hatch some chicks, but I'm not 'allowed' to have a rooster', neither am I but this seems to be working out:

same here @229Mick! We can not have roosters in our pen. We have recently had some roosters but we sent them away to the people we got them from. I would love a rooster but they are to loud
1f615.png

I've been trying the collars. I find they work ok, they make the crow not as loud, but as the rooster gets older, it is louder. I have to tighten it up in the beginning, then, have to watch it as the boy grows..into it. Anyway, I just bring them in at night so they don't start crowing in the morning..then they crow their funny crow with the collar on during the day...and..get the girls. Now this is working great. I love to hatch. I have had two different roosters now..I live in a neighborhood. I have talked to my neighbors, and they say they only hear them when they are outside. First they wondered if something was wrong with one of the hens.
lol.png
I will always keep a cockeral to see how well the collar will work. Then when they have serviced my girls and start getting too loud even with the collar, they go. Hoping I will eventually get a rooster that will really have a softer crow, then I will keep him for quite a while. I have been lucky to have sweet roosters too. :) My next one looks like it will be a Lavender Orpington. :p

Last edited:
Same here, Bubbles! I have a BO who has never shown the slightest interest in being broody. I have an Easter Egger, Agatha, who has been broody - sit tight and get the job done no matter what broody - twice now, the first time when she was only 8 months old. <sigh> I don't think they read the book yet.

ooh, now I just have to hope one of my 4 EE's or my silkie will do that! they are still 4 1\2 months old so maybe by next summer...

I've been trying the collars.  I find they work ok, they make the crow not as loud, but as the rooster gets older, it is louder.  I have to tighten it up in the beginning, then, have to watch it as the boy grows..into it.  Anyway, I just bring them in at night so they don't start crowing in the morning..then they crow their funny crow with the collar on during the day...and..get the girls.  Now this is working great.  I love to hatch.  I have had two different roosters now..I live in a neighborhood.  I have talked to my neighbors, and they say they only hear them when they are outside.  First they wondered if something was wrong with one of the hens.  :lol:   I will always keep a cockeral to see how well the collar will work.  Then when they have serviced my girls and start getting too loud even with the collar, they go.  Hoping I will eventually get a rooster that will really have a softer crow, then I will keep him for quite a while.  I have been lucky to have sweet roosters too.  :)  My next one looks like it will be a Lavender Orpington.  :p

I have a 2 year old rooster with the collar. He did well in the beginning, now it's still pretty loud....I have an 6 month old rooster with a piece if velcro....and his crow is very quiet. I think I am going to put a piece of velcro on my older rooster. It works way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom