2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

I ordered my new incubator this morning and my white Africans will be separated by the weekend, which puts me right on track to set my first group of eggs by March 1st. If all goes well, I will have fuzzy yellow babies by 1st of April.
big_smile.png

Seeing lots of early breeding/nesting activity from my buff dewlaps. I don't usually see eggs from them until March 7th, but would not be surprised if they start laying before the end of the month. We are in the middle of a heat wave with temps expected in the 50s this week, so maybe they think spring has already arrived.

Oregon mini frillback geese??? !!!! ????

Pics???????? Did they send you pics when you ordered them????

I'll get better pics tonight, but here's a few from this morning.(arrived today!)

Hoping it's early enough they settle in and lay eggs. I bought a new brinsea octagon incubator. Excited to finally have something better than my lg Styrofoam ones I've always used. Just need eggs! I do have Silkie chicken and bei duck eggs coming to test it out with...but need goose eggs too!

My chinese goose started laying i have to touch her to stop her from biting me like im her gander....my gander then hops onto and mates but ive tried in the past to hatch but they get to the pip but there yolks arent absorbed....what would cause that? I plan on trying againg this year i have a hoverbator without a fan but i dont have a turner. The ones i tried last year i did it in a chicken turner. Any advise as to what I need to know to have a sussessful hatch would be great. The only time i had a good hatch rate was when my silkie sat on them. But i no longer have silkies

My chinese goose started laying i have to touch her to stop her from biting me like im her gander....my gander then hops onto and mates but ive tried in the past to hatch but they get to the pip but there yolks arent absorbed....what would cause that? I plan on trying againg this year i have a hoverbator without a fan but i dont have a turner. The ones i tried last year i did it in a chicken turner. Any advise as to what I need to know to have a sussessful hatch would be great. The only time i had a good hatch rate was when my silkie sat on them. But i no longer have silkies

Hopefully you will be successful this year even with one gosling!
I don't have experience with a "hoverbator" whatever it might be but do you have an incubator? Sorry I'm just confused of how you explained it ;)

Last edited:
I myself have planned to put my Africans in one big breeding pen and get as many African goslings as possible this year so I can start my breeding programme of African geese next year.
In the breeding pen will be my Buff African pair along with 2 Brown African females and my 2 year old Buff African gander (sloppy Joe).
The Africans are usually the ones that start breeding but this year they are the last.
Gives me time though
1f609.png

Hopefully in 3 weeks I will get eggs!
No Easter goslings this year ;)

Hopefully you will be successful this year even with one gosling!
I don't have experience with a "hoverbator" whatever it might be but do you have an incubator? Sorry I'm just confused of how you explained it ;)

A hoverbator is a brand of incubator. :).

A hoverbator is a brand of incubator. :).

Oh ok, I'm only familiar with the Brinsea incubators :L
Chinese aren't the best sitters but they can be but if you keep your gander away from her when she's brooding then there is a high chance she will get goslings. Since the gander being on top of her will stress her out and want her to stop brooding and eventually the eggs will break.
Buy a new turner?
I've a fully automatic incubator the turner was also broken so I twisted the eggs myself 4-5 times a day
1f44c.png

Indeed silkies are the best along with the Muscovy ducks ;)

Last edited:
It was pouring rain today and I just had to take pictures
1f602.png

The yards a mess because it's winter as y'all know yourselves so here's an update from me with pics!

Here's my greylag crosses they will be sold this spring.

My Buff African pair along with a 9 month old gander and 3 year old goose (all but the year old Brown African gander will be in my breeding pen for this year).

9 month old African gander with my breeding African goose.

Sloppy Joe will have his first time in the breeding pen this year ;)

Sloppy Joes father

Sloppy Joes brother (Brown African gander X Buff African goose) he's supposed to have the buff gene.

Brothers (these guys were born and raised together and are inseparable and act as if they are a couple :,) )

Sloppy Joe suffering from wet feather

This African is kind of still alpha but the Buff African gander chases him off but he sometimes chases the Buff gander so we'll have to wait till breeding season is official ;)
He's with his wife a Embden and a SebastopolXchinese gander who wants the Embden........

Another nearly year old African gander who won't be breeding this year as he is too young.

Sloppy Joe wouldn't leave me alone because he wanted to be in every single picture :,)

Nine month old African goose who also won't be breeding this year but I will allow her to brood for experience so she knows whats she's doing in her second year of breeding (she will be with 5 bachelor African ganders and along with a few young African females).

Chinesexgreylag gander and a EmbdenXToulouse female which will be sold in spring.

Romantuft female and EmbdenXToulouse male will also be sold this spring.

All my less than a year old African geese except for Sloppy Joe who keeps photo bombing :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom