2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Unfortunately the little guy didn't make it out of the egg.
Have another buff coming up and a crossbreed -_-

Sorry to hear that. It seems that there is an increased chance of losing them when they pop at the wrong end. The last gosling I had to do that, was helped out of the egg(took a full 24 hrs of assistance) he had a "hair lip" and an inverted knob area, was a purebred brown Chinese gosling. He lived only 6 hrs after hatching. he absorbed everything but his face was deformed.

So, just found this thread after reading everything I could lay my hands on about goose egg incubating for 2 months(apparently I missed this one!). Now I'm confused. Everyone has a different humidity that they say is correct. Anywhere from 25% to 60%. I'm on day 16 perhaps I need to change? (Buff Toulouse cross)

Also,I candled at 14. My kids are ticked because I did it without them. How soon is too soon to candle again? (5 of 7 showed movement) Right now I'm leaving 2 not fertile as heat sinks.

Congrats on the pair of buff goslings!!

So... my hatching schedule is as follows: 1st set would be the pair of buff dewlap eggs under my broody, which are 2.5 weeks along. Then I have two whites and one dewlap egg on day 10 and just set another 3 whites and 4 dewlaps on Saturday. I closed up shop early for selling dewlap hatching eggs so turned my breeders loose this weekend. Boy do they look happier! Still holding out hope to get more white eggs but if my 2nd girl does not start laying this week, I will free my white trio this upcoming weekend. Should get another 3 white eggs from my other white girl, but will likely slip them under a broody instead of setting them in my bator.

When are your first batch of goslings hatching?
Congrats on the pair of buff goslings!!

So... my hatching schedule is as follows:  1st set would be the pair of buff dewlap eggs under my broody, which are 2.5 weeks along. Then I have two whites and one dewlap egg on day 10 and just set another 3 whites and 4 dewlaps on Saturday. I closed up shop early for selling dewlap hatching eggs so turned my breeders loose this weekend.  Boy do they look happier!  Still holding out hope to get more white eggs but if my 2nd girl does not start laying this week, I will free my white trio this upcoming weekend.  Should get another 3 white eggs from my other white girl, but will likely slip them under a broody instead of setting them in my bator.

Put this egg in the incubator last week because it was cracked by mother goose.
Thought it wouldn't survive but it's doing great and moving a lot.
Batch one is finished. I've 4 Buff African goslings and a crossbreed who hatched today.
Batch two should be hatching this Sunday coming.

So, just found this thread after reading everything I could lay my hands on about goose egg incubating for 2 months(apparently I missed this one!). Now I'm confused. Everyone has a different humidity that they say is correct. Anywhere from 25% to 60%. I'm on day 16 perhaps I need to change? (Buff Toulouse cross)

Also,I candled at 14. My kids are ticked because I did it without them. How soon is too soon to candle again? (5 of 7 showed movement) Right now I'm leaving 2 not fertile as heat sinks.
Take any infertile eggs out. Goose eggs require more humidity than chicken eggs. Do you have a diagram of how the air cell should look according to which day? That will tell you if your humidity needs adjusting.

I candle eggs 7 days apart, and at lockdown.

Sorry to hear that. It seems that there is an increased chance of losing them when they pop at the wrong end. The last gosling I had to do that, was helped out of the egg(took a full 24 hrs of assistance) he had a "hair lip" and an inverted knob area, was a purebred brown Chinese gosling. He lived only 6 hrs after hatching. he absorbed everything but his face was deformed.

Never saw this comment! Yeah I help them out of the egg too if they hatch at the pointy end but the time it died was when I was asleep so I couldn't help.
Hair lip? Think my African gosling had that before but died.
Is that when they oversized heads?

Back
Top Bottom