2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

My toulouse hatched out 3 of her 5 eggs yesterday, other 2 were rotten. This morning she had them out grazing. My 2 males are super protective. Haven't left the babies side since they started hatching. Trying to attach a pic of the flock but it isn't working.

Congrats, peckin! Look forward to seeing pics.
big_smile.png

The other female, we call her Gypsy, went out in the field yesterday and hasn't come back. I'm going to have to hike some 4 ft tall hay fot hide and seek so i can put a 4x6 around her. She's not safe out there.

Haha that's the first thing I did Iain and I haven't seen them since I put the trap and see no evidence that they're still there so I'm guessing they moved location.
Trap must've spooked em.
And I love the pic and the baby!
I hatched 6 red legged partridges and 16 ring necked pheasants and I love them!

Good luck with that, peckin. I have moved quite a few nests to safer locations for my geese. They usually seem to appreciate it.

Serv, best of luck catching the fox. They can be super tricky little buggers. And congrats on the latest hatches. Not sure I've seen baby pheasants or partridges before. Pics??

It is fun watching the chick with her duck and chicken mommas. Not sure what will happen once the ducklings hatch later this week. I probably will have to separate them. But for now, they are fine where they are. Sad news on the buff dewlap front.... my broody goose had two eggs make it to hatching, but momma decided to "help" hatch her babies and killed them.. It was awful. Not sure why some geese need to peel shells off hatching babies, but this is the 2nd goose I've had this happen with and it stinks! Also had a new skunk show up and cleared out my white african's nest just as she was getting ready to go broody and one of my dewlap's nest and those eggs were halfway along. We disposed of the skunk, but damage already done.

Have a couple of straggling broodies and a buff dewlap who is going through a 2nd round of laying eggs but not counting on any more goslings this year. Thankfully my buff dewlap and white african goslings are doing awesome.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom