** 2017 New Drug Law - What Are Your Plans? **

Really though, if you ask me and this is just my opinion from within the industry, certified organic produce and meat is such a scam.
Agrees....mostly a marketing scam.....not to mention the administration of certification had become corrupt and mis-managed.

What about " organic" dairy cattle, does their alfalfa have to be certified organic?
Well, yes, supposedly.
To be certified as organic, all cattle should meet the following criteria: Born and raised on certified organic pasture. Never receive antibiotics. Never receive growth-promoting hormones. Are fed only certified organic grains (corn is a grain) and grasses.

Agrees....mostly a marketing scam.....not to mention the administration of certification had become corrupt and mis-managed. 

Well, yes, supposedly.

Well... :oops:

If you want my personal opinion lol, I think wormers and overuse of antibiotics has been a scam a lot longer than organic food.

In fact, organic food has been on this planet for wayyyyyyy longer than the poisons that we have created and some of us evidently don't mind eating..

Me, I prefer food that isn't laced with chemicals, since I only have one body to live with I'd rather like it to function properly for the duration ;)

I want food without chemicals too and I was not condoning the use of them.
I was speaking of the food marketing these days, I do not believe the labels.
Organic certification is mostly a money making joke.

You have a right to your opinion, as I do mine ;)

But if you're stating facts, I would have to counter with my opinion of which "scam" actually started first lol :p

Are you certified? Do you actually KNOW all the regulations, or are you just quoting other "opinions" from elsewhere?

Crooked people are everywhere, so yes, there are always going to be "scams", but let's be serious here. Some people make their living following the rules and attempting to better our food supply, so please don't toss all organic producers in the " scam" boat. There are still good practices out there just for the sake of the practice and not inclusive of deception.

That hurts my feelers :D

Last edited:
So what happens when someone's prized organic bull or cow gets pneumonia or gets a wound requiring antibiotics? Is it culled, or is it treated?

Are you certified? Do you actually KNOW all the regulations, or are you just quoting other "opinions" from elsewhere?
My brother was, as an organic truck farmer for the last 40 years.
He went thru the certification hoops until it became a joke...both the relaxing of the 'rules' and the failure of followup.
His customers know his practices, he doesn't bother with the certification.

So what happens when someone's prized organic bull or cow gets pneumonia or gets a wound requiring antibiotics? Is it culled, or is it treated?

As a rancher, that is not certified organic, but actually raise things pretty darn close to the wild. Our cattle our out on huge pastures. We do feed them cake, a supplemental feed during the winter to meet their needs. While many times I read how money hungry professional ag is, people often don't consider these facts. Healthy cattle are the most efficient cattle. Cattle in adequate space generally, like chickens are healthy. Healthy, well cared for animals make money. All medicine is very expensive and cuts into the bottom line.

We do cull, and have for years. Cattle that are poor doers, are gone. However, if one has paid thousands of dollars for a bull, and they get foot rot, they get treated. If an animal is sick, or injured, they get treated. These are our livelihood, and we take very good care of them.

I garden, I raise a lot of our food, with as limited use of chemicals as possible. However, if you actually do this, one realizes how precarious food production is. For most of us, if the garden fails, we still get to eat. For centuries, a lot of people starved, because there was no chemicals to increase food production. I believe in the safety due to the science, I read and follow directions.

Mrs K

Actually, you have been misinformed on antibiotic use in organic practice. It's allowed, but there's a limit on how much can be used.

My brother was, as an organic truck farmer for the last 40 years.
He went thru the certification hoops until it became a joke...both the relaxing of the 'rules' and the failure of followup.
His customers know his practices, he doesn't bother with the certification.

I'm sorry your brother found the regulations confusing, and I'm.glad he hasn't been disillusioned out of his practices because of it... But hey, speaking of that, I'm not sure what a "truck" farmer even is lol ;)

Back
Top Bottom