2018 Hatchalong

Pics
I am on day 20 with Pilgrim eggs! First time hatching goose eggs.... I SOOOO hope they hatch! Whe ya'll say 7 days till hatch, does that mean lockdown or pip?

SO i candled all ten under my goose last night, one was completely rotten, and 3 had no air cell at all and were completely liquid that sloshed around, one had an air cell that was bigger than half the egg and was no good. The other five under her are all set to hatch next friday though. I am now down to 17 with my uncle's eggs and two had the same no-membrane problem, majorady will hatch wendseday, the others the following weekend

Fingers crossed for successful hatches!

I'm super late to the game, but finally set 15 assorted dewlap eggs in my bator last night. I included a couple eggs that are 3 weeks old, kind of as an experiment. Also have eggs from an 8yo dewlap gander, so not expecting high development rates, but am gathering fresh eggs this week to set next weekend, as a back-up plan.

Today is hatching day for five of my Pilgrim eggs. Unfortunately, when I candled the eggs while transferring them to the lockdown incubator, I found that 4 of the 5 failed to internally pip and showed no movement.

So this morning one lonely little gosling has externally pipped and is working on hatching. I’ve never had such a poor hatch rate. I feel bad for this little guy because he’s going to be brooded alone until it warms up enough outside to give him to our adult geese to care for.

I have hatched a solo gosling three different times. Each time, I purchased a pair of baby ducklings to raise with gosling. It always works like a charm, and I wind up with a pair of super friendly ducks, too.

Well, I am very sad right now. The gosling had made himself a nice external pip but didn’t make much more progress all day. I thought I would assist if he still wasn’t out when evening came, but when I went to check him a couple of hours later, he had died! I have never had that happen before nor had such a poor hatch rate. I am trying to figure out what might’ve happened.

All I can think is that they didn’t lose enough fluid. The incubator was rather full and perhaps they weren’t able to lose enough fluid with so many eggs in there? But oddly, all the turkey poults that were in that same incubator hatched just fine. Maybe because they are such small eggs compared to the goose eggs?

It was heartbreaking to see that poor little guy dead in the shell with his head nearly out. :hit

Well, I am very sad right now. The gosling had made himself a nice external pip but didn’t make much more progress all day. I thought I would assist if he still wasn’t out when evening came, but when I went to check him a couple of hours later, he had died! I have never had that happen before nor had such a poor hatch rate. I am trying to figure out what might’ve happened.

All I can think is that they didn’t lose enough fluid. The incubator was rather full and perhaps they weren’t able to lose enough fluid with so many eggs in there? But oddly, all the turkey poults that were in that same incubator hatched just fine. Maybe because they are such small eggs compared to the goose eggs?

It was heartbreaking to see that poor little guy dead in the shell with his head nearly out. :hit

So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom