2018 Newbie Chat!

@Anna Ranieri When my pullet went broody I noticed she sat longer and longer after laying each egg. Until one day she didn't get up at all. It took about two weeks I think until she was full on broody.
:goodpost:Thank you so much for sharing, this explains why Lilah has been taking longer and longer each day. All along I've been wondering if it could be that she is starting to get broody rather than 'being broody' and clearly it is the case. I am hoping that my keeping on interrupting the process by getting her out of the nest each day will stop her going into full broodiness. Yesterday she came out by herself straight after she had laid her egg, and I'm hoping this means she won't go into full broodiness, but I get a sneaky feeling this is far from over yet :hmm

I got word today that I'm being relocated for work. I'm pretty depressed and not looking forward to it. They are allowing me up to 1.5 hours for linch to come home and let the dogs out and check on the chickens. For that I feel completely blessed.

I am really not going to see the chickens and ducks for the whole winter. I'll be gone when it's dark, coming home when it's dark and the days are going to be super long. The younger ones are hit or miss going into the coop at night. They still have not gotten the flaps on the doors figured out either. I got some flood lights to put on once it gets dark for the run. I'm worried about predators even with the electric fence. I'm almost thinking I may have to give them up for their own safety--weather and predators. An auto door won't work because they don't get in anyway and the ducks won't go in period. I can not spend my days worried about them constantly.

I don't even know what to do, except cry.

My little girls are 5 weeks now! Everyone is doing well. They've gotten to go out in their yard a few times now, and they love it. Here's three of them - Flower the Austra White, Amelia the Easter Egger, and Ellie the Buff Orpington.
20181015_164040.jpg
20181015_164021.jpg
20181015_163932.jpg

I got word today that I'm being relocated for work. I'm pretty depressed and not looking forward to it. They are allowing me up to 1.5 hours for linch to come home and let the dogs out and check on the chickens. For that I feel completely blessed.

I am really not going to see the chickens and ducks for the whole winter. I'll be gone when it's dark, coming home when it's dark and the days are going to be super long. The younger ones are hit or miss going into the coop at night. They still have not gotten the flaps on the doors figured out either. I got some flood lights to put on once it gets dark for the run. I'm worried about predators even with the electric fence. I'm almost thinking I may have to give them up for their own safety--weather and predators. An auto door won't work because they don't get in anyway and the ducks won't go in period. I can not spend my days worried about them constantly.

I don't even know what to do, except cry.
Oh no!! When do you start there? Maybe the little ones will be better at going in before you change? Are you using the flood lights now? If they're not asleep when you put them on, I'd think it would encourage them to stay out of the coop. Mine hung out by the coop door for a few nights before they figured out the roost. We finally realized it was because it was lighter there than inside the coop. They still all roost at the end of roost that is closest to the window...where it's lightest at dusk.
I'm in Wisconsin and if I could have more than the ones I have, I'd offer to take them for the winter and then return them to you. :(

Back
Top Bottom