2018 Newbie Chat!

My babies are nine weeks old this week. It’s getting harder and harder to snap their weekly pictures now! They grow up so fast.

View attachment 1471856
Frida (EE) and Poppy (SFH)

View attachment 1471864
Chicken Little (BCM) and Pig (Splash Ameraucana)

View attachment 1471871
Rumi, our Favaucana.

View attachment 1471875
Left is Rumi, Buckbeak our Welsummer, Poppy, and Zelda (OE) top right.

View attachment 1471884
Poppy and Zelda

View attachment 1471888
Poppy really wanted to be in pictures today!
What did Frida look like as a chick?
I just got 2 EE in the last batch of chicks and Meyer gave me ones that look completely different which I’m very appreciative of.
One is a yellow-gray chick with brown and black chipmunk stripes.
The other is black brown with a brown gray underbelly and dark gray wings.

They’re on the left by the Speckled Sussex chick.
7AD2D17D-63C0-41A7-B138-07F0CCE057BE.jpeg

Here’s the dark one: she has cheek muffs!
2EF1BF3F-B457-49DB-B1AE-5D01C885159F.jpeg

So integration here is still not great, in fact I don't think it will ever happen. These smaller ones probably cause more issues because they start squealing before they are even touched. The faverolle has not figured out how to go high and she is getting picked on terribly. I feel so bad because she is a very sweet girl. The thing is there has been no feather loss or blood, but alt if running into things. I do not know how to help her.

So integration here is still not great, in fact I don't think it will ever happen. These smaller ones probably cause more issues because they start squealing before they are even touched. The faverolle has not figured out how to go high and she is getting picked on terribly. I feel so bad because she is a very sweet girl. The thing is there has been no feather loss or blood, but alt if running into things. I do not know how to help her.
It can be very uncomfortable for us humans to watch but it will get better.
As long as there’s no blood or wounds you just have to let them work it out.
Mine are still doing the same.
My 3 Wyandotte hens all harass Angus a lot but he hasn’t yet built up the courage to challenge them.
At some point, if he is to be the rooster, he must dominate them.
Not by making them bloody but by refusing to back down to them.

What did Frida look like as a chick?
I just got 2 EE in the last batch of chicks and Meyer gave me ones that look completely different which I’m very appreciative of.
One is a yellow-gray chick with brown and black chipmunk stripes.
The other is black brown with a brown gray underbelly and dark gray wings.

They’re on the left by the Speckled Sussex chick.
View attachment 1473413
Here’s the dark one: she has cheek muffs!
View attachment 1473414
Here’s a couple pictures of Frida, the first is a few days old, the other is her almost two weeks old.
6C8C63CD-C195-486E-B731-8AA14EDC6B0F.jpeg

BADC8711-E78A-49A8-B3FF-C55F8ECF8AAC.jpeg

I can’t wait to see what color yours end up! I just love the countless variations of color on EE!

Back
Top Bottom