2021 Chick Order

Pics
I'm debating getting rid of my Sumatra (or at least the male). Sinbad (hatched the year before this april) has been getting pecky with us when we feed and water. He has not drawn blood yet (which is the cut off), but he's done it nearly every day and it's been a few weeks.

If I cull him, I can either keep the female and use her in a mixed flock, or sell her off. I could always advertise the pair with a heads up about him, because again, he has yet to draw blood or leave marks.

If he goes, I have a pen I can use for a bantam group (probably the D'uccles and my little d'Anvers girl).

I'm not as crazy about the Sumatra as I was 8 or 9 years ago, so I wouldn't really mourn their loss. And the female did go broody last year, so that might make someone want her a bit more, even as a pair.

*Sigh.* Sinbad, why did you decide to get iffy?

I'm debating getting rid of my Sumatra (or at least the male). Sinbad (hatched the year before this april) has been getting pecky with us when we feed and water. He has not drawn blood yet (which is the cut off), but he's done it nearly every day and it's been a few weeks.

If I cull him, I can either keep the female and use her in a mixed flock, or sell her off. I could always advertise the pair with a heads up about him, because again, he has yet to draw blood or leave marks.

If he goes, I have a pen I can use for a bantam group (probably the D'uccles and my little d'Anvers girl).

I'm not as crazy about the Sumatra as I was 8 or 9 years ago, so I wouldn't really mourn their loss. And the female did go broody last year, so that might make someone want her a bit more, even as a pair.

*Sigh.* Sinbad, why did you decide to get iffy?

If you're not really thrilled with the breed anymore it seems to me that selling the pair might be a good idea.

If you're not really thrilled with the breed anymore it seems to me that selling the pair might be a good idea.
Yeah. I'll mention it on Friday when mom gets home to talk about it. I went after him a bit last night when he got both of us seperately (mainly just dug him out of the pen and held him while I finished watering him).

Anyone know what I would get breeding my Black Crested White Polish boy to a white crested blue female? Any possibly chance of getting a blue crested white?
Obvious partial-answer: half the chicks with black, and the other half with blue.

But it sounds like you're more interested in the genes that make white crest/dark bird or dark crest/white bird, and I don't know about those.

I found an old thread that talks a little bit about Polish crest color genes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/color-genetics-of-a-white-crested-polish.291025/

Obvious partial-answer: half the chicks with black, and the other half with blue.

But it sounds like you're more interested in the genes that make white crest/dark bird or dark crest/white bird, and I don't know about those.

I found an old thread that talks a little bit about Polish crest color genes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/color-genetics-of-a-white-crested-polish.291025/
I'm more curious about if I'd end up with a black crested bird with blue leakage on white bodies or If the blue would be everywhere if they get the blue gene. Maybe I'll get a female next year and Find out later

I'm more curious about if I'd end up with a black crested bird with blue leakage on white bodies or If the blue would be everywhere if they get the blue gene. Maybe I'll get a female next year and Find out later
The blue gene does not change where black would appear on the chicken. It just changes all the black to blue. Or two copies of the blue gene will change all the black to splash.

The blue may not be an even shade all over the chicken (example: Blue Sexlinks with darker necks and lighter bodies).

The blue gene does not change where black would appear on the chicken. It just changes all the black to blue. Or two copies of the blue gene will change all the black to splash.

The blue may not be an even shade all over the chicken (example: Blue Sexlinks with darker necks and lighter bodies).
Hmmmm..... guess I'm getting another polish girl next year

Back
Top Bottom