Color genetics of a White Crested Polish?

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
I've always been curious of this - And I love fiddling with the chicken calculator, but such color (White crested black, red, blue, etc) is not on it. So, if I were to want to know what it and something else would create, does anyone else here know the genetics of such color? Because I've never heard of any other breed being white crested/headed with a solid body color.

Is there such gene on chicken calculator, and if not - What would I get if I crossed a White-Crested Black to, say, a solid blue?

Given a big enough crest the default color of it will be white. To get a black crest of the same size you have to put in some additional genes.
These are present in lakenvelder for instance. Lakenvelders were used to create the black crested white polish.

The colorgenetics of crests is very interesting, but largely unknown.
Theoretically you could get buff crested blacks too, or buff crested whites, white crested buffs, etcetera.

I once assumed that the white from the crest would be the silver groundcolor, that on the rest of the chicken would be underneath the black.
That would explain why lakenvelder could create a black crest.
But it could also be a form of white like in mottling, independant of groundcolor (silver/gold/red) and pattern color (black/blue/splash/dom.white).

HTH

So ideally then, crossing it with another bird would just splash the black with the other color, and the crest color all depends on the offspring having a crest, yes? (which would probably keep white?)

I have many mixed Polish. Most show some white crests (I also have many with black crests but that is another story), some are smaller and just a few are vaulted and look like a regular Polish.
Ok, camera refuses to work so I can't show you some pictures.

Last edited:
Ah, so is it safe to say that if I had a blue bird and a white crested black polish or three, I could try introducing the blue color into the polish? I'm not looking to create a blue polish with standards, just a bird that looks a lot like a polish but is blue and carries a couple of the original blue bird's traits (say, the same egg color)

To make a confusing story short - I'm looking to cross my white crested black girls to either a blue Ameraucana or a splashy (perhaps duckwing/white splash) EE and go from there to get a crested, colored egg layer. With a beard. But I'm always curious as to what color the offspring would be.

Back
Top Bottom