Jubilee Crosses

mmwellsfarm

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
I have a Blue Jubilee Orpington rooster and I'm about to get Jubilee Orpington hatching eggs. I'm also looking for other Orpington chicks. What crosses would he make with what colors? I'm not sure if there's a calculator for that like the one for turkey genetics but if there is, please share!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there's a calculator for that like the one for turkey genetics but if there is, please share!
There is a chicken calculator:
http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

There are several variations, with more or less or different features, including:
https://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
https://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

I've seen times when the pictures in one version didn't work, but another version was working fine.

http://www.sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html
Here is a page with links to several others about chicken genetics. If you know much basic genetics, you may want to start at page 3. It has a chart with many genes listed: abbreviation, name, a line or two about what it does. Page 2 goes into more detail about some of them. Page 1 is about basic genetics, which you might already know if you're used to dealing with turkey genetics.

I would say chicken color genes sort into three basic groups: ones that affect which color can go where on the chicken, ones that affect the shade of individual colors, and ones that add white in specific places. The e-locus genes have a big effect on which colors go where (Extended Black, Birchen, Wheaten, and a few others.) Pattern Gene, Columbian, and a few others shift the colors around and interact in various ways. Many other genes just change individual colors (Mahogany turns gold into red, Silver turns gold into white, Blue turns black into gray, Dominant White turns black into white, Lavender turns black into gray AND gold into pale yellow, etc.) Ones that add white would include Barring (white lines) and recessive white (white all over, no matter what other color genes are present.) Mottling is more-or-less in this group too: white dot on the tip of the feather, black line behind that, remainder of the feather colored by the other genes the chicken has.

I have a Blue Jubilee Orpington rooster and I'm about to get Jubilee Orpington hatching eggs. I'm also looking for other Orpington chicks. What crosses would he make with what colors? I'm not sure if there's a calculator for that like the one for turkey genetics but if there is, please share!
Do you know how the Blue gene works? That will be affecting the black parts of any chickens you produce with that rooster.

Crossing with normal Jubilees or with Blue Jubilees will give more Jubilees and Blue Jubilees and maybe Splash Jubilees if both parents have blue. Crossing with any other color or pattern is going to give non-standard colors or patterns. they might be pretty and fun to have, but if you want standard colors, but only mix them if you are okay with non-standard colors.

Jubilee is going to be recessive to most other colors of Orpington, at least for one gene or another.

Mottling makes the white and black dots, but is a recessive gene. So if you cross to any Orpington that does not have mottling, the chicks will not have mottling. (They may show a little bit of mottling when they are young, but it will pretty much go away by the time they grow up.)

Solid Black coloring is dominant over any of the multi-colored patterns. So if you breed Jubilee to Black, you will just get black chicks (although they may have a bit of leakage.) The genes for solid black are also in Chocolates and Lavenders and Blue/Splash (the all-over version of those colors). So for each of those, you will get black chicks, modified or not depending on which dilution genes are present. Lavender is recessive, and chocolate is a sex-linked recessive, so neither of them will be visible in chicks that have a Blue Jubilee father. Blue and Splash have the blue gene, so their chicks will have black, blue, or splash all over, depending on how many blue genes the chicks get.

Mottled (white dots on black) has the mottling gene on a black base, so crossing with Jubilee would give black (dominant) with mottling (recessive inherited from both parents), with some being blue (blue gene from your current rooster.)

Whites are hard to predict because there are several genes that can cause white, and I don't remember which ones are common in Orpingtons. Paint is one Dominant White gene on a chicken that is otherwise black (or blue or chocolate).

If you cross with Buff, you should get chicks somewhere in the red/brown part of the chicken color spectrum, not showing mottling. They will probably have less black than the Jubilee parent, and there is a chance that all the black will be turned to white (I've read that some Buffs have Dominant White and some do not.)

I don't remember what other colors Orpingtons come in, but I probably have not addressed all of them.

There are several variations, with more or less or different features, including:

I've seen times when the pictures in one version didn't work, but another version was working fine.

Here is a page with links to several others about chicken genetics. If you know much basic genetics, you may want to start at page 3. It has a chart with many genes listed: abbreviation, name, a line or two about what it does. Page 2 goes into more detail about some of them. Page 1 is about basic genetics, which you might already know if you're used to dealing with turkey genetics.

I would say chicken color genes sort into three basic groups: ones that affect which color can go where on the chicken, ones that affect the shade of individual colors, and ones that add white in specific places. The e-locus genes have a big effect on which colors go where (Extended Black, Birchen, Wheaten, and a few others.) Pattern Gene, Columbian, and a few others shift the colors around and interact in various ways. Many other genes just change individual colors (Mahogany turns gold into red, Silver turns gold into white, Blue turns black into gray, Dominant White turns black into white, Lavender turns black into gray AND gold into pale yellow, etc.) Ones that add white would include Barring (white lines) and recessive white (white all over, no matter what other color genes are present.) Mottling is more-or-less in this group too: white dot on the tip of the feather, black line behind that, remainder of the feather colored by the other genes the chicken has.

Do you know how the Blue gene works? That will be affecting the black parts of any chickens you produce with that rooster.

Crossing with normal Jubilees or with Blue Jubilees will give more Jubilees and Blue Jubilees and maybe Splash Jubilees if both parents have blue. Crossing with any other color or pattern is going to give non-standard colors or patterns. they might be pretty and fun to have, but if you want standard colors, but only mix them if you are okay with non-standard colors.

Jubilee is going to be recessive to most other colors of Orpington, at least for one gene or another.

Mottling makes the white and black dots, but is a recessive gene. So if you cross to any Orpington that does not have mottling, the chicks will not have mottling. (They may show a little bit of mottling when they are young, but it will pretty much go away by the time they grow up.)

Solid Black coloring is dominant over any of the multi-colored patterns. So if you breed Jubilee to Black, you will just get black chicks (although they may have a bit of leakage.) The genes for solid black are also in Chocolates and Lavenders and Blue/Splash (the all-over version of those colors). So for each of those, you will get black chicks, modified or not depending on which dilution genes are present. Lavender is recessive, and chocolate is a sex-linked recessive, so neither of them will be visible in chicks that have a Blue Jubilee father. Blue and Splash have the blue gene, so their chicks will have black, blue, or splash all over, depending on how many blue genes the chicks get.

Mottled (white dots on black) has the mottling gene on a black base, so crossing with Jubilee would give black (dominant) with mottling (recessive inherited from both parents), with some being blue (blue gene from your current rooster.)

Whites are hard to predict because there are several genes that can cause white, and I don't remember which ones are common in Orpingtons. Paint is one Dominant White gene on a chicken that is otherwise black (or blue or chocolate).

If you cross with Buff, you should get chicks somewhere in the red/brown part of the chicken color spectrum, not showing mottling. They will probably have less black than the Jubilee parent, and there is a chance that all the black will be turned to white (I've read that some Buffs have Dominant White and some do not.)

I don't remember what other colors Orpingtons come in, but I probably have not addressed all of them.
Thank you. I had a splash blue jubilee hen but she died before I could incubate their eggs. I'm getting done Jubilee eggs to incubate. I'm waiting for my local lady to hatch babies for me to buy the same mix again so I can keep that breed going. I was just curious what would happen while I was waiting on her since it could be awhile.

That chicken calculator isn't as user friendly as the turkey calculator I've used. Maybe use friendly is the wrong term, probably beginner friendly. I'd have to do a lot of research to figure all that out, which I can do. I was just hoping for something more simple.

That chicken calculator isn't as user friendly as the turkey calculator I've used. Maybe use friendly is the wrong term, probably beginner friendly. I'd have to do a lot of research to figure all that out, which I can do. I was just hoping for something more simple.
Unfortunately, I don't know of anything more simple :(

I don't have any experience with the turkey calculator, but I think I remember turkeys having a much smaller number of known color genes than chickens do.

The basic starting point is simple enough: change the genes in the dropdown boxes, see the chicken picture change. But after that...! It gets much more complicated. It can figure offspring from a given cross, but I tend to just go through and manually put in what the chicks will have, then look at the results. "If he has two mottling genes, and she has none, then every chick will have one," repeated for each gene I know about.

Back
Top Bottom