2021 Chick Order

Pics
Oh, I remember them now! Yes, the combs looked a bit like stars.
The Cometcombs, their two brothers, are Pea/Vcombs. I think my lone sister is a Cometcomb too.
20211006_202005.jpg

Ive had roosters with huge ones before some roosters hormones are worse then others
I guess I'm just disturbed by the difference in size with the brothers. Everyone else I've looked at is no larger than a kidney bean, certainly smaller than their hearts, and I had one that acted way more aggressive

I guess I'm just disturbed by the difference in size with the brothers. Everyone else I've looked at is no larger than a kidney bean, certainly smaller than their hearts, and I had one that acted way more aggressive

It still sounds normal to me, but I'm not the one who saw it in person :idunno
Some cockerels & roosters just have really big ones.

Processed 3 males today. 2 Starcombs and a NN

Is there any reason that would cause a cockerels.... bits..... to be either gigantic or itty bitty? My two mixes are at least half siblings, very likely full siblings, and the difference is almost disturbing.

first pic is the two that are gigantic next to full sized scissors. The second is one of those next to the itty bitty one from the other male, who's were like the size of an eraser

View attachment 2861445View attachment 2861444

The Cometcombs, their two brothers, are Pea/Vcombs. I think my lone sister is a Cometcomb too.
View attachment 2861622

I guess the big guy was very early-maturing and had a strong set of hormones.

Started snowing yesterday. Everyone's mad now. Getting up the will to go and check on everyone, cause it's really cold here now.

Whatever has been taking birds was probably bedded down the night before last because of the weather. Going to see if the compost pile where the scraps from processing went isn't disturbed yet since there are no more birds in the shed now.

The last male that isnt staying has beem removed. This picture has every bird from this ordering session I'm keeping over winter besides the ones in pens already and the Wyandotte bantam dude

20211015_095438.jpg

Birds got some extra protein yesterday, found some mouse nests and they got the babies that were left behind when the parents scattered

Alrighty.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow since 2 or 3 of them are free ranged and more feral than strays and bolt when they see me, but I've picked my lucky ladies to be my sexlink fibro projects.

My cometcomb female, my blg Wyandotte, a silver Leghorn and some pheonixes (all different colors). Zach will be bred to all but the wyandotte, who will be bred to Booth because they're large birds

I looked at your diagram of the cages. Would you mind going into detail on how your birds are housed/separated, & when/how they have access to run/free range? Thanks! I love reading about your crew!

I looked at your diagram of the cages. Would you mind going into detail on how your birds are housed/separated, & when/how they have access to run/free range? Thanks! I love reading about your crew!
The males (who the cages are for) would live there for the most part. Yes, they're smaller than the recommended amount of space, but since it's one bird per cage, I wouldn't have to worry about them picking on each other out of boredom or confinement.

They would be allowed to be loose in the Rooster Room when they're breeding, but that's about it.

I realize that a lot of people probably won't like it, but I'm making sure they still have room to move around (hence why it's taking so long to figure out what to make or buy). It's similar to how my rabbits are held in stackers, not in pens like some people do.

The pullets will be in a pen all mixed since they won't fertilize the wrong eggs. And then any males in flocks are either confined in pens, or let out daily (once my predator problem is fixed, that is. I have one coop full of grumpy birds currently because of that).

Are there any in particular you're mainly curious about? I can explain more if there are ones that you're mainly wondering about

The males (who the cages are for) would live there for the most part. Yes, they're smaller than the recommended amount of space, but since it's one bird per cage, I wouldn't have to worry about them picking on each other out of boredom or confinement.

They would be allowed to be loose in the Rooster Room when they're breeding, but that's about it.

I realize that a lot of people probably won't like it, but I'm making sure they still have room to move around (hence why it's taking so long to figure out what to make or buy). It's similar to how my rabbits are held in stackers, not in pens like some people do.

The pullets will be in a pen all mixed since they won't fertilize the wrong eggs. And then any males in flocks are either confined in pens, or let out daily (once my predator problem is fixed, that is. I have one coop full of grumpy birds currently because of that).

Are there any in particular you're mainly curious about? I can explain more if there are ones that you're mainly wondering about
Just curious how long they can be kept in a small space. So they can semi-free range when predators are take care of? If you want any of them to breed, do you put the selected hens in a separate pen with the one roo? I haven’t gotten to the point of wanting to breed yet, but maybe a year or so away.

Back
Top Bottom