2021 Chick Order

Pics
Just curious how long they can be kept in a small space. So they can semi-free range when predators are take care of? If you want any of them to breed, do you put the selected hens in a separate pen with the one roo? I haven’t gotten to the point of wanting to breed yet, but maybe a year or so away.
I'll pull the females from the female pen and let them in the Rooster Room with the selected male. Technically they can be in a small space indefinately, but not everyone likes that answer.

And some pens free range, some don't. With as many as I have, it's impossible for them all to free range without intermingling

Last edited:
I'll pull the females from the female pen and let them in the Rooster Room with the selected male. Technically they can be in a small space indefinately, but not everyone likes that answer.

And some pens free range, some don't. With as many as I have, it's impossible for them all to free range without intermingling
So the males can roam together, and you only mix them with selected females when you want to breed them, right? Sounds like a lot too keep track of!

So the males can roam together, and you only mix them with selected females when you want to breed them, right? Sounds like a lot too keep track of!
No. Most of my males will be caged. Some males are with certain pens for free access to those hens, but not all. Don't have enough pens for almost 30 eventual breeds to all be free access

@NatJ you said this in the sexlink silkied post.

Gold/Silver sexlinks:
Rooster must be "gold" (buff, red, partridge, etc)
Hen must be "silver" (the color called "gray" should be a silver version of partridge, so it would work.)
Sons will be silver like their mother, daughters gold like their father. The daughters may have different shades of gold (buff, red, brown) and the sons may have a yellowish or dirty-looking silver color, and will probably have some red leakage in their shoulder feathers as they grow up.

What I'm hearing is that I should get sexlinked Silkies by breeding David (supposedly a partridge)
20210421_212914.jpg

to Crow (Supposedly a Grey/Silver Partridge)
20210421_212834.jpg

@NatJ you said this in the sexlink silkied post.

Gold/Silver sexlinks:
Rooster must be "gold" (buff, red, partridge, etc)
Hen must be "silver" (the color called "gray" should be a silver version of partridge, so it would work.)
Sons will be silver like their mother, daughters gold like their father. The daughters may have different shades of gold (buff, red, brown) and the sons may have a yellowish or dirty-looking silver color, and will probably have some red leakage in their shoulder feathers as they grow up.

What I'm hearing is that I should get sexlinked Silkies by breeding David (supposedly a partridge)

to Crow (Supposedly a Grey/Silver Partridge)

From what I know of genetics, yes that should work.

Depending on how much black they have in the chick down, you might be able to sex the chicks at hatch, or you might have to wait until they grow some feathers to see the color.

From what I know of genetics, yes that should work.

Depending on how much black they have in the chick down, you might be able to sex the chicks at hatch, or you might have to wait until they grow some feathers to see the color.
Honestly I couldn't tell then apart as chicks, but if I only had to wait 2 months instead of 6, it would still be great

Just saw a porcupine running up our driveway 😍

Tonight's a nice night. I'll see if I can get a picture of the clear skies. Bit chilly, but it will help the birds start getting used to the weather cooling down

It's far away, but you can see Billings from my place. It's about an hour away by car, and actually looks a lot bigger in person
20211019_214721.jpg

Last edited:
Putting birds on CL today.

2 silver leghorns, 1 Red leghorn, 4 pullet pheonixes, 1 year-long Phoenix, 1 NN pullet, 1 Mix pullet, 2 Cornish pullets, and 4 males (1 NN, 3 Mixed), so a total of 16 birds. Hoping to get some feed money for the females, just hoping the males go somewhere for a good home or kind end.

Back
Top Bottom