2021 Gosling Hatch-a-Long

Congrats on the new baby! Is that from one of the wonky eggs you posted pics in the other thread? I've been curious for an update.
No. :( Out of the seven eggs sent one was double-yolked so it didn't develop. The turner above them caught the largest egg and must have cracked it because I found a slow cooked omelet the next time I opened the incubator. That left five eggs. Three developed but none of them have hatched yet. I've left them in the hatcher just in case, but I think they are probably DIS. The goslings that did hatch were very sticky and had a lot of trouble. I've never had to mist and cool before, but that's what I'm going to try this go around.

Edited to add, I plan on doing an eggtospy to get a better idea of where things went wrong on at least the shipped eggs.

Mist and cool. :thumbsup I do it routinely for goose eggs.

Doing eggtopsies can be difficult, but I find the information you glean from them very helpful.

I had 2 sets of goose eggs shipped from a neighboring state last year and none hatched: air cells were terrible, it was a hot mess from the get-go. It's sometimes necessary to get shipped eggs, but the USPS has destroyed mine, at least. 😠

My Pilgrim hatch is complete. The heralds were three Anconas put in with the Pilgrim eggs. Trinity, Neo, and Morpheus hatched Thursday and Friday. The first Pilgrim pipped Friday and hatched Saturday. The second Pilgrim pipped Friday and hatched today.

Both of the geese are female so I'll probably do another small hatch of Pilgrims. They don't have names yet but I'm reviewing the passenger list of the Mayflower for inspiration. That gives me, believe it or not, options like Rose, Priscilla, Tilley, Oceanus, and Peregrine.

No. :( Out of the seven eggs sent one was double-yolked so it didn't develop. The turner above them caught the largest egg and must have cracked it because I found a slow cooked omelet the next time I opened the incubator. That left five eggs. Three developed but none of them have hatched yet. I've left them in the hatcher just in case, but I think they are probably DIS. The goslings that did hatch were very sticky and had a lot of trouble. I've never had to mist and cool before, but that's what I'm going to try this go around.

Edited to add, I plan on doing an eggtospy to get a better idea of where things went wrong on at least the shipped eggs.

Sorry to hear that. I felt bad being the debbie downer on the other thread, but I thought you should be prepared for the worst. Luckily you can set another round of eggs and try again. Best of luck this time!

First time incubator here. My daughter and future son-in-law brought me 15 eggs to incubate. I think (if I candled correctly) there are 8 viable chicks at 15 days until lock down. I wish the incubator counted up instead of down. I know how many days I have left but had a hard time figuring out what day to start misting/cooling, what day I actually set them in the incubator, ect. TBH I wasn't expecting any miracles, so didn't mark it down.🤷

They don't know what breed of goose eggs they brought me. Here's a pic of the parents. Can someone let me know what I'm incubating?
Screenshot_20210426-110849_Messenger.jpg

Back
Top Bottom