2021 guinea hatches

Pics
Well, I just had my second poor hatch of the year. I feel like I’ve lost my touch! Only 16/41 fertile eggs hatched, for a lousy rate of 38%! Both hatches have had some possible issues, like old eggs that I didn’t sell, taking eggs from an already incubated nest that I found, oil based painting going on, moving eggs on day 19, a few days of hotter than ideal temps, etc. However, both hatches lost so many eggs to being late quitters, which I just don’t understand… Some had large air cells so I may try to increase the humidity instead of dry hatch next time. Average humidity before lockdown was 34%, which doesn’t seem particularly low… Average temp was 99.2 F. Maybe I should try weighing eggs for water loss… So frustrating! And so sad to see so many dead eggs. I could open the eggs but I’m not sure what I’m looking for as they clearly developed to nearly full term…
When is the last time that you salt calibrated your hygrometer?

Here are my 2021 additions for the year. I have 3 nests outside which I chase the hens off of every evening and this one inside tended by two hens ,Ebay (my white one and my only pearl hen. They started hatching friday and friday nite after the storms it was 56 outside. I have had some attrition due to the weather and just getting stepped on, but the eight are doing good , so like last year I'll let nature take it's course.
Adorbs 😍

Back
Top Bottom